what the heck do you call this thing?


Old 12-10-19, 05:28 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what the heck do you call this thing?

Hi guys - I'm searching for a particular fastener that I'm pretty sure exists, but I don't know what it's called. Functionally, it's like a tall grommet, with two pieces that either snap or screw together to create a tunnel with a rounded/rimmed edge on either side.

What I am seeking to do is to attach some cloth-covered foam panels to some rolling walls for the purpose of displaying art. I don't want to attach them permanently, so glue is out, and want them completely flat to the walls, so cleats are out. I don't want the panels framed either, so using millwork along the edges (as with floating panels on a door) is out.

I'm fine with using fender washers in each corner to attach the 1" panels to the masonite walls, but since they're fabric covered, the screws grab and twist the fabric, no matter how careful I am to try to cut a slit and keep the fabric out of the way. So my idea is to first insert this sort of tall plastic grommet-type thing, to create a smooth-sided passage through the panel for the screws. So, does anyone know what this is called, or can you think of another/better solution to this challenge? Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-19, 05:40 AM
Marq1's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA MI
Posts: 6,525
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts

With or without barbs, steel/AL/SS
Old 12-10-19, 05:52 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 25,993
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
Sex (barrel) bolts (also known as binding posts) are similar but are usually longer.
Old 12-10-19, 07:34 AM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,707
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Search "long barrel grommets".
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: