what the heck do you call this thing?

Old 12-10-19, 05:28 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what the heck do you call this thing?

Hi guys - I'm searching for a particular fastener that I'm pretty sure exists, but I don't know what it's called. Functionally, it's like a tall grommet, with two pieces that either snap or screw together to create a tunnel with a rounded/rimmed edge on either side.

What I am seeking to do is to attach some cloth-covered foam panels to some rolling walls for the purpose of displaying art. I don't want to attach them permanently, so glue is out, and want them completely flat to the walls, so cleats are out. I don't want the panels framed either, so using millwork along the edges (as with floating panels on a door) is out.

I'm fine with using fender washers in each corner to attach the 1" panels to the masonite walls, but since they're fabric covered, the screws grab and twist the fabric, no matter how careful I am to try to cut a slit and keep the fabric out of the way. So my idea is to first insert this sort of tall plastic grommet-type thing, to create a smooth-sided passage through the panel for the screws. So, does anyone know what this is called, or can you think of another/better solution to this challenge? Many thanks.

Old 12-10-19, 05:40 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
T-nuts

With or without barbs, steel/AL/SS

Old 12-10-19, 05:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sex (barrel) bolts (also known as binding posts) are similar but are usually longer.

Old 12-10-19, 07:34 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Search "long barrel grommets".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: