Gate latch

Old 05-01-20, 08:28 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gate latch

hello,

I am replacing a damage gate latch. The old gate latch that I am replacing was welded on. I know nothing about "how to weld" nor do I care to try it without having someone that knows "how to weld" supervising me. Therefore I will not weld the new latch on. I am looking another way to fastened the new latch. May i get feedback on what i should use, and recommend what they think i should use? Should I just use the screws that came with the new latching system and call it a day? The screws that came with the new latch look cheap and I would like to use something more austetic pleasing if possible i.. the link below will take you to the picture of what I am working with .

http://imgur.com/a/J2ik6Ev

BTW , yes I'm running out of projects while on lockdown. Well not really, just running out of the lower cost projects. I keep forgetting that I have to budget more know than ever.

Last edited by VeryHandyDanny; 05-01-20 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 05-02-20, 05:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
If you don't want to weld that leaves bolts. Hold the new latch in position. Mark it's mounting hole locations and drill. You'll have a choice of through bolting which will require drilling all the way through the steel frame and the bolt head will be visible on the other side. Drilling and tapping would be more attractive since nothing will protrude on the other side of the gate. If you decide to drill and tap I would purchase stainless steel bolts. Depending on the size of your latch I would use 1/4-20 or 5/16-18. If you use metric hardware I would pick a size that allows you to get coarse threads which might be M8-1.

Old 05-02-20, 08:54 AM
W
Received 29 Votes on 26 Posts
Moderators, why can I not see the original post but can see the reply? Have not seen this issue before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: