Unique Door Hinges

Old 06-18-20, 07:46 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unique Door Hinges

Does anybody recognize these door hinges? They are in Pella doors. I donít understand why the center hole on the door side appears to be a hex or keen wrench screw. Can I just unscrew that as well to remove or is that some sort of adjustment feature?

Old 06-18-20, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 852 Votes on 780 Posts
Yes, it's an adjustment feature. It shifts the center of the hinge pin one way or the other just like a shim would to either raise or lower the leading edge of the door. This also affects the gap between the door and the jamb as the door closes.

Old 06-18-20, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,404 Votes on 1,299 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

At DIY.... one thread is allowed per topic. This is your thread.
Looks like an adjustable hinge. Haven't seen them on Pella hinges.

Old 06-18-20, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
From their instructions:

For Doors with adjustable hinges: The hinges can be used to move the panel side to side by moving all hinges in the same direction or the hinges can slightly rotate the panel by adjusting the hinges in opposite directions. Use a T20 Torx wrench for Architect Series Doors or a 1/8" Allen wrench for Designer Series doors to turn the center screw clockwise (+) to increase the space between the hinge side of the frame and door panel. Turn the center screws counter-clockwise (-) to decrease the space between the hinge side of the frame and the door panel .

Note: Do not adjust the hinge with the top and bottom screws loose; this could force the hinge to adjust beyond its design capability which can cause the hinge to bind, damage the hinge and/or pull out the screws. A ĺ turn of the center screw provides approximately 5/32" adjustment.

Old 06-18-20, 11:30 PM
M
Any info on how to remove them?

Old 06-19-20, 03:05 AM
Group Moderator
Take the 5 phillips screws out.

Old 06-19-20, 07:34 PM
M
I tried that one one of them before I posted and it seemed that the torch bolt was still holding it to the door. I didnít ya k too hard to avoid damage so I will give it a try on another hinge. Thanks

Old 06-19-20, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
You might want to remove the 3 screws from each of the jamb side hinges. Then remove the door and lean it against the wall or against a sofa, laying it down on edge, with the latch facing down. Then it will be easier for you to take the 2 screws out (they will be facing up) and carefully pry them out of their mortises. Occasionally they will be stuck with varnish to the door. A thin putty knife and a tap with a hammer, then gently lifting the prybar will pop them out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: