Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Hardware and Fasteners
Reload this Page >

How do I put a lock on a cabinet in garage (see picture) to make it child safe?

Old 07-08-20, 01:07 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We recently moved in to a new house and we have a few cabinets in the garage (Image 1). I wish to be able to lock them to make it safe for our tow daughters. Any help will be appreciated.

I out a Surface Bolt (Image 4) on top of the left pane (Image 1a) and put the strike hole in inner side of the cabinet (Image 2b).

Then I put a cabinet lock on the bottom side of the right pane (Image 3a and 3b).

I was hoping that this will keep the cabinet closed and it does. But since the cabinets are tall; it seems the lock will not be able to withstand if one pus the handle a little forcefully (which our elder 3 years daughter will do).

The only solution I can think of is to put a surface both on top and bottom of the left pane and put a lock at the center or on. Bottom of the right pane.

Can any of you pro suggest me a better idea?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-20, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Yo
idea sounds good to me. I would put it a couple of inches above the handles so it is easire to reach ot if a wall hanger a couple of inches below handles.

Old 07-08-20, 03:59 AM
Received 311 Votes on 291 Posts
That style may work but a lot of unknowns about the construction of the cabinet, space etc, etc.

If wood a simple pad lock thatch is pretty much guaranteed to fit and work!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/National...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 07-08-20, 04:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
I would do a long shackle padlock through the door handles. I don't like the idea that one door has to be secured with a latch on the inside in order for the outside lock to work. It sounds too easy to forget to latch the interior lock. I also like that the padlock on the outside makes it clear and easy to see that the cabinet is locked.

Old 07-11-20, 07:08 AM
T
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
Investigate elbow catches to secure the inactive door. Available in a variety of materials and prices.

Old 07-12-20, 05:20 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
Maybe also consider changing out the handles for just a round knob. Those handles are perfect for hanging on and pulling hard. A little 1" round knob like you'd see on a bathroom vanity would give you enough handle to open the door, without providing anything to really pull hard on.