Stuck Nut

Old 08-16-20, 12:36 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stuck Nut

Hi there, I'm new here. I am trying to take apart my sister's metal bunk bed and have ran into an issue I simply can't rectify. On one side, both nuts and bolts holding the top part up are stuck (I will attach an image of what I mean). The screws/bolts were installed at an angle, so the nut is now partially stuck in the edge of the hole. I have tried WD-40 to loosen it, among many other tools which is quite obvious. The nut has been rounded from past attempts (I know that was probably a mistake) which makes this even more difficult to remove. This issue is also present on another one of these screw/bolts, albeit not as bad. Does anyone have any tips/ideas on how to remove it?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-16-20, 01:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 872 Votes on 802 Posts
Hopefully the bolt is not turning. In that case I'd grab the nut with Vice Grip pliers and try to break it free. If that doesn't work there is a specialized nut buster tool that you can buy. It clamps over the nut and you tighten the buster and a stocky knife blade splits the nut. Another option is to use a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade or hack saw and cut the nut & bolt off right at the base of the nut. You'd probably then need to touch up the paint.

Old 08-16-20, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 903 Votes on 829 Posts
You could cut the excess bolt off with a hacksaw or a grinder and then use a bolt-grip (extractor) to turn the nut off. (Assuming the bolt doesnt spin as you turn the nut). If the nut spins, cut the nut off too.

Old 08-16-20, 04:37 PM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
You could cut the excess bolt off with a hacksaw
For situations like this I resort to the smoke wrench but being indoors I think we can skip that sure fire solution.

If vise grips dont work and you resorting to cutting, just cut the nut and everything will fall apart, no additional tools needed!

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: