Lubricant for Door Locks???

Old 06-13-01, 09:09 PM
Bart Beaudin
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a door lock as part of a door knob that is becoming more difficult to open with the key. Would lubricating the lock mechanism possibly solve the problem? What should be used as a lubricant? If that isn't the solution...do you have other suggestions?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-01, 01:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Door lock

I use an oil called WD40 which I find is the best for freeing sticky locks but it may well be more of a problem, possibly the lock mechanism is beginning to wear out so it might be best, if lubricant fails to free it up, to replace the whole lock/knob.

Good luck 808

Old 11-03-08, 07:06 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Keyed lock lubricant

Try Slipit Spray Lubricant. I have found it quite reliable for lubricating my locks. slipit.com

Old 11-03-08, 07:44 AM
S
There are specific door lock lubicants which for the life of me I can't remember the brand name.It comes in a blue can and is available in spray and liquid.The old standby is graphite dry lubicant.You puff it in the lock and work it in with the key.

I have been told products like wd-40 aren't the best choice because they will catch and hold dirt etc over time.

The blue can stuff(it's called Door Ease or something) is carried by Ace hardware stores.Graphite is most everywhere.

Old 11-06-08, 09:52 AM
S
Pros and cons for most and everyone has their own preference.

As mentioned WD-40 not the best but better than nothing in an emergency. Graphite is the old standby but if using the powder beware of using too much-I have found cylinders clogged with it. I like using Tri-Flow myself.

As 808 mentioned-if the lube does not work, there most likely is a mechanical problem. Replacement depends on the quality/cost of the defective lock.

You may just need the cylinder repinned or the keys may be worn.