How to enlarge the hole in a metal ring

Old 10-14-20, 09:43 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to enlarge the hole in a metal ring

Hello everyone. I need some help with a bolt type door fastener. I am sorry i dont know the proper names for the things. I have several spring bolt type fasteners on my stable doors that slide into a flat L shaped piece of metal with a hole in it attached to the door frame. I need to enlarge the size of the hole the bolt fits into because the building shifts a bit in the winter causing the bolt to not line up properly. In the summer its fine. It was suggested i make the hole bigger but i dont know what kind of tool to use to do this. Someone mentioned a drill bit but i havent seen any of the size i would need. Is there some kind of an attachment i can put on a dremal that would work? Any other suggestions? I am a complete newbie to fixing things and appreciate all the help i can get. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-20, 11:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Someone mentioned a drill bit
Yes..... a metal drill bit.

You could post a picture of what you have..... how-to-insert-pictures.

You left out two important things. How thick is the metal and what size hole do you need.
If the bolts are holding up large swinging doors.... I'd imagine they are pretty heavy.
I don't think a Dremel will handle this job. You're going to need an actual drill.

We use Unibits/Step drill bits to enlarge holes in metal. They are fairly robust and easy to use without yanking the drill out of your hands when the bit catches the metal. Link below.

It would probably be best to take your bolt to a home improvement center or a Canadian Tire and match that size to a proper drill bit.

Step drill bits

Drangd voted this post useful.
Old 10-15-20, 04:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
You said a "spring type thing". Is this hole in the spring itself? If so then the steel is likely hardened and will be a bugger to drill out. It would be better to use a grinder bit in a Dremel tool. If it's just a bracket or piece of mild steel then drilling is a quicker and easier option.

Old 10-15-20, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
I'm with PD, first thing I thought of was to Dremel it out a bit. Kind of depends on exactly how much material has to be removed, a Dremel can be time-consuming for large quantities of material.

Old 10-15-20, 11:46 AM
A
ok I tried uploading pictures but it didnt seem to work so I am trying again. I apologize for not knowing the correct terminology for these things. I need the hole made a little bigger because it is not feasible to keep moving the piece every spring and fall. I have 16 of them to do.

Old 10-15-20, 12:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I'd use an oversized drill bit, the step drill bit Pete referenced would also work.

Old 10-15-20, 12:54 PM
A
ok thank you i will look into finding a bigger drill bit or getting some of those step drill bit

Old 10-15-20, 03:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
You can also use a grinding bit in a Dremel. It will be slower than drilling but it will eventually get you there.

Old 10-16-20, 10:49 AM
Received 47 Votes on 40 Posts
A rat tail file and some elbow grease would also work.

ThisOldMan voted this post useful.
Old 10-16-20, 02:32 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
I'm with 2john02458. A rat tail file will let you make a oblong hole; i.e. "moving" the hole in the direction needed.
Enlarging a hole with a bigger drill bit.can present problems with the drill taking too much of a bite and snatching the drill motor out of your hand.

Old 10-19-20, 04:50 AM
A
Thank you everyone. I bought a set of step drill bits and got all 16 holes enlarged quickly and easily.