Securing table stand collapsible leg

Old 10-31-20, 03:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Securing table stand collapsible leg

I have this keyboard stand that I added some casters to. Issue is these leg hinges donít lock and if I move the table on the caster they collapse.

I was thinking of getting a piece of metal flat bar and riveting one one side one of the hinges and then drilling a hole on the other side to put a removable screw or bar.

any ideas as to what would be the easiest and secure way to do this?

Old 11-01-20, 04:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 786 Posts
I'd probably go to Lowes, Home Depot or Menards and get a piece of 1" angle aluminum or bar stock. The angle is stronger but will be a bit more difficult to cut. Cut a piece about a foot long. Then either drill and bolt half of it to the angle brace of your table or you can use hose clamps. Then drill and bolt or hose clamp the other half to the other piece of your table's leg brace.

Old 11-01-20, 07:43 AM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
Did it ever have a locking feature?

Not sure which way it folds but a small bar screwed to the flat stock, again it it's going in the right direction, and extending up into the angle would then press against the angle and would not need to be attached there!

Old 11-01-20, 08:53 AM
Received 339 Votes on 305 Posts
Obviously this unit never had a locking device because it wasn't needed until you put casters on it.
The ideas given above are all good. Except if it was me I would like something not screwed so that you can easily collapse the unit when not in use. I picture a sliding mechanism of sorts that will lock onto the two pieces.
This would be a nice project for a 3D printed fix. You should be able to makeshift some kind of sliding piece of metal channel to lock the two pieces.

Old 11-01-20, 12:24 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correct, it didn't have a locking feature to begin with.

Old 11-04-20, 07:14 PM
T
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
1. Take a piece of heavy spring steel and attach it to the angle (opposite side from the "red bar" in your picture) in two places. You can countersink two flat head screws into the angle.
2. At the other end of the spring steel, attach a small socket head cap screw with a nut.
3. Where the head of the cap screw contacts the flat bar, drill a hole in the bar slightly larger than the head of the cap screw. Install a knob on the threaded portion of the cap screw to pull the spring stock back.
Better to do it in reverse, but you get the idea.
The hard part will be drilling the spring stock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: