What type of screw/fastener is this and how do I remove it?

Old 11-09-20, 09:06 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What type of screw/fastener is this and how do I remove it?

What type of screw/fastener is this and how do I remove it? This is in one of my side mount drawer slides. I want to replace the slide but don't know how to remove these 4 screws.

This is a screw which is in one of my side mount drawer slide. It's got a round indentation in it.

This is the other side of the screw. It's completely round.

This is the top view of the screw. I don't believe it's more than 1/8 of an inch.

Here's another side view of it.

Another side view but on the opposite side of the slide.

Another side view. Need to remove the right-most screw and the top-left screw,

Another side view. Need to remove the top-left and top-right screw (not the one in the wood).

Old 11-09-20, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,412 Votes on 1,306 Posts
The two red arrows are pointing to rivets used to hold brackets A and B together.

Old 11-09-20, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
That is a rivet. Rivets are used on parts that typically are not supposed to come apart. To remove a rivet you have to drill it out with a drill bit.

kalants voted this post useful.
Old 11-10-20, 05:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
I drill from the head side of the rivet. 1/8" (or 3, 3.2 mm) are the most common size of small rivet so I use a 1/8 drill bit. Hold your drill square and drill straight into the center. You only need to go deep enough to get through the head, you don't have to drill through the entire rivet. Once you've drilled through the head it can be popped off and then use a punch to drive out the rest of the rivet.

If you don't want to go through all that you can use a cold chisel and hammer on the back side to knock the back of the rivet off. It's noisy work and it will mess up the paint but it can be quick and easy.

kalants voted this post useful.
Old 11-11-20, 07:01 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I'll try removing with a drill bit.

Last edited by kalants; 11-11-20 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-12-20, 06:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
If the rivets are steel and you have a grinder, even a Dremel tool with a grinding bit, you can grind off the head off and then tap the rest out with a punch (or nail) and hammer. If the rivets are monel or aluminum don't use a grinder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: