Metric O-Ring kit

Old 11-10-20, 07:38 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metric O-Ring kit

I currently own a SAE O-ring kit which never seems to fit anything I need it for. It's one of those red case cheapies you can pick up almost anywhere. What I never realized up until recently was O-rings come in metric sizes also. Most everything I work on is metric so I'm hoping that's why my SAE kit never has the one I need. I can pop on Amazon and there are Metric kits available which are priced cheap and that concerns me as far as quality and size. I wonder if they are they same crap that's in my SAE kit just converted to Metric sizes.

I see Grainger offers several but they run from inexpensive to over $170.00 leaving me scratching my head still. Any suggestions or advice appreciated on a quality Metric kit affordable for home use.

Last edited by Racerx143; 11-10-20 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-10-20, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,481 Votes on 1,369 Posts
Interesting question.

I have several SAE O-ring kits and have never not found one that would work.
It depends what you are using the O-rings for.
The more expensive kits use a better grade of rubber like Buna N or even synthetic rubber like Viton. .

Racerx143 voted this post useful.
Old 11-11-20, 05:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 872 Votes on 802 Posts
Everything depends on the kit you have and what you are trying to do. I have machinery (tractors, excavator...) so most of my O ring needs relate to hydraulics. The kit I have has worked out very well but I bought a kit that had the sizes I need for the type of machinery I work on.

Old 11-11-20, 05:24 AM
Received 342 Votes on 308 Posts
If you need to replace "O" rings on a regulars basis you best buy direct from manufacture. Many times "O" rings are special sizes specific for the machine it's made for. You might find a "standard" one that seems to fit, but it won't perform the way it should. And as PJ mentions, material is critical. Problem is you may not know what the proper material is. Most manufactures don't publish "O" material in their specs.

Old 11-12-20, 10:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted something on hand that would work in a pinch. The SAE kit O-rings always seem to be too thick. I don't recall ever actually using it and I have had it for years. I am /was hoping the metric might be thinner. I'll probably just pick up a metric kit from McMaster or Grainger just to have in the shop.

Old 11-12-20, 02:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 872 Votes on 802 Posts
Don't rely on simply buying metric to have the sizes you need. There are simply too many "standard" sizes of O rings to have much chance that blindly picking a kit will have what you need. You have to look at what O rings you might need and buy a kit that covers them. Here is a .pdf from one manufacturer that describes how O rings are sized and lists the common/standard sizes. You will see that it's a really long list. This manufacturer offers rings in over a thousand "standard" sizes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: