Anchor choices

Old 12-21-20, 01:19 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Anchor choices

I am attaching two boxes together. One is hollow so I can stick my hand in no problem. The other box is a closed hollow cylinder. So I can only see one side. Do to there placement I have to use a 6-8 inch bolt. Is it appropriate to use a toggle bolt anchor and simply swap out the supplied 3 inch bolt with a longer bolt of the same diameter and thread count? I calculate no more then 25 pounds of pressure at any given time.

Old 12-21-20, 03:01 PM
Received 339 Votes on 305 Posts
If it's this type then yes you can. Just be sure the longer bolt won't hit the other side of box

NewbieSoSueMe voted this post useful.
Old 12-21-20, 03:04 PM
Received 488 Votes on 452 Posts
Maybe a picture will help, I'm not grasping the situation!

Old 12-21-20, 03:10 PM
Received 339 Votes on 305 Posts
Actually a long bolt will server no purpose. The threaded screw or bolt is only being used to draw the wings up tight. If anything you want a shorter threaded screw, just enough to go through both boxes and draw the wings up tight.

Old 12-21-20, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 821 Posts
Is the "closed box" already closed? Because if its something you are building you would plan ahead and insert barbed t nuts into the inside of the "closed box" first. Then you would just drill holes in the 2nd box and screw them together with truss headed machine bolts.

Also if the bolt is going to be 6-8" long, and there is a space between these two boxes, you will need some solid framing between them as a spacer to prevent the box sides from bowing as you tighten the machine bolts up.

if the inside of the box is not accessible, you would likely want to put your barbed t nut onto the back of a cleat... then screw that cleat onto the box. With no real plan to go off of, its hard to know exactly what your doing and give any specific suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: