Self drilling screws for metal wall studs - not holding

Old 01-18-21, 06:12 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Self drilling screws for metal wall studs - not holding

I bought some #14 x 2.5" inch Tekk screws to try and support a wall mount bracket for holding speakers.

This is in a rehearsal studio that I rent. I was told by management the studs are metal. I used a magnet to locate them and when I put in the screw it seems to penetrate the metal but does not tighten. The bracket is about a 3/4' thick and the drywall is likely half inch so I should be getting enough bite on the screw into the stud.

Is this cause I'm not using thick enough screws or might it be the wall thickness of the stud itself that it just can't handle the screw and it strips once tightening? I'm using my impact drill to drive it past the drywall and into the stud.

Old 01-18-21, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 903 Votes on 829 Posts
If the screw spins, you over torqued it and stripped the threads. An impact is not a good choice for setting screws that require a light touch.

Old 01-19-21, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Metal studs will not be able to handle surface screws except those that hold the drywall.
There are two ways to fasten something to your wall.
One is to open up the wall and install a backing board that is fastened to the sides of the studs or install a larger flat board on the surface using many screws that are carefully hand tightened.
Any screws you use in metal studs need to be hand tightened.

Old 01-19-21, 04:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 872 Votes on 802 Posts
Tek screws are intended for much thicker metal, not the paper thin sheet metal of a stud. Using a backer block like GregH mentioned or through bolting would be good options. In general metal studs are not great for mounting heavy objects. You might also consider making stands for your speakers and forgo the wall mount altogether.

Old 01-22-21, 09:12 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, y'all.

I already had floor stands but wanted to free up some floor space. I'll be return the wall mounted brackets as I don't want to start opening the walls. Thanks!

Old 01-22-21, 11:11 AM
B
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There are also "Blind fasteners".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: