Odd fittings: what are these for?

Old 01-19-21, 06:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Odd fittings: what are these for?

I'm probably not the only one on this forum who enjoys sorting through a huge pile of miscellaneous fasteners and finding interesting things. Recently I came across an odd metal fitting that looks like it would be used to attach a bolt to two screws, at right angles:

The central hole is I think 5/16" in diameter, threaded at somewhere around 14 TPI. Note the two imprints on either side of the threaded hole; it looks to me like these are meant to hold coarse-threaded screws, if you were to bolt a pair of the fittings together, like so:

(The bolt shown above was in the same pile of fasteners, but I don't know if it was originally meant to be used with these fittings.)

If I'm right so far, you could do something like the following with this setup:

But: under what conditions? To accomplish what???

The only thing I've been able to come up with is perhaps threading pairs of these at intervals on a long rod, parallel to ceiling panels or drywall or something, that would allow you to attach the paneling to the rod. But who does this???

Anybody know what these are?

Old 01-19-21, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Those are Unistrut (channel) nuts.

The Unistrut gets bolted to the wall and is used as a mounting track for many things including conduit. Unistrut stuff

Old 01-19-21, 07:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aha! So the coarse threads are for the tracks in the track piece, not for screws?

Makes much more sense than what I came up with. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: