Steel wheels

Old 02-17-21, 04:31 PM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Steel wheels

Hi All, any idea where I can find these steel wheels, 2” OD 3/4” wide , and will fit a 5/8” shaft, I have tried McMaster Carr.
Geo 🇺🇸

Old 02-18-21, 04:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 872 Votes on 802 Posts
It looks like the large piece should be pressed over the brass bushing?

My guess is that it's a fabricated part and not standard off the shelf. What is it used for? What did it come off of?

Old 02-18-21, 07:51 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
A machinist could make wheels for you. Seems simple enough. I could build it in less than an hour using 2" diameter cold roll stock.

Old 02-19-21, 05:24 AM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Hi, I think we have solved the problem, that wheel slide onto that brass, it’s like bearing, these are off of a garden railroad passenger cars, I’ll post a pic of our solution which seems to work, you can see the groove in one of the wheels, actually just noticed it.
Good point on the machinist making them, tough to find a machine shop in Naples,Fl.
Geo 🇺🇸

Old 02-19-21, 05:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 872 Votes on 802 Posts
The brass part is called a bushing. If there is a groove it might have had a circlip or E clip to prevent the outer steel wheel from sliding off.

Since this is on a model railroad the chances are very high that the wheel was fabricated from scratch and not a purchased off the shelf item. Luckily the model railroad community is full of machinists. If you need a new wheel putting the word out should attract some help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: