educational content about aluminium construction profiles?

Old 02-21-21, 11:51 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
educational content about aluminium construction profiles?

Hello there, I'm "Nonsmoker" from Germany and I'm new here - thanks for having me! I hope this topic fits in this forum?

I'm thinking about building something that involves aluminium construction profile systems and perhaps other fastening/connecting methods. I'm absolutely new to this and it took me an awful long time to learn more about it because educational content about this topic in my mother tongue is almost nonexistent. I accidentally stumbled over the 80/20 catalogue which is much better than anything else that I've seen so far.
Do you have recommendations for any other online-sources (in english) that could be helpful for beginners? Guidelines, dos and don'ts, A-Z's, how-to's, yt-channels, anything?

any help is much appreciated!

Old 02-21-21, 12:32 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 159 Posts
What scale are you picturing? Bookshelves, 1-story house, or skyscraper? Obviously the basics are similar, but the details are significantly different - more so with aluminum than steel.

Also, what types of fabrication methods are you open to? Are you looking towards bolting and maybe mig/tig welding? Or are you willing to do milling, CNC, and possibly more expensive (less DIY) options?

Old 02-21-21, 03:38 PM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
Need more detail on what you want to use this for. We use the 80/20 products (lots of similar products) in our shop to build fixtures/displays.

It works great but pretty high on the cost scale for DIY!

Old 02-22-21, 06:16 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies!
Originally Posted by Zorfdt
What scale are you picturing?
Also, what types of fabrication methods are you open to
Need more detail on what you want to use this for.
Here are a few basic things that I wish I knew at before I started digging

- fastening methods compared, explained, demonstrated
- how to add functionality
- requirements (skills, tools, costs involved)
- tech-lingo explained
- advantages/disadvantages/limitations of construction profiles
- what to watch out for when buying from retailers/manufacturers

Originally Posted by Marq1
pretty high on the cost scale for DIY
I didn't look onto their prices but I was impressed by their easy to understand catalog and by the enormous choice of available items and services. The online retailers here in Germany that the DIY community suggest require expert knowledge and they can be difficult to browse. In fact, one of them takes great lengths to explain his patronizing attitude towards unsatisfied customers and newbies: (link removed)
The customer profile in their eShop has a counter that shows how often you've unsuccessfully tried to contact them. The more often you contact them, the higher you climb on their ignore list.

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-22-21 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Youtube Link removed - unnecessary to topic

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: