Antique German Hinge assistance

Old 03-04-21, 04:02 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Antique German Hinge assistance

Hello all!

I am new here and in need of some assistance, with any luck someone will have knowledge of my issue.

I am repairing a large door on my elderly mother's Schrunk. I can not figure out how the Germans installed these lift off hinges. They have an eyelet between the male and female side that is threaded in. Any idea how they may have threaded in the male side as well as the eyelet at the same time? Please see the attached images.

My first inclination was that on or both were knock in, but that does not appear to be the case as they both have clear threads on them. Even if the eyelet side is knock in how would I manage to knock it in while threading the other side? I will also add that every hinge on this are the same, with eyelet and it is a huge unit(14' long and 8' tall) with more than 20 doors. Got to love German craftsmanship!

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

B

Old 03-04-21, 04:22 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
It seems to me that you screw each part into the respective frame or door. Get them as close to the edge as possible and still be in the vertical position. Then just lift and drop the door to the frame side. You have one turn on each piece for adjustment for the door to be closer to the frame or if interference farther from the frame.

Old 03-04-21, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
Those aren't really threads, even though they kind of look like it. Both those would be driven in at the same time with a wooden mallet into a pilot hole that is just the right size.

I have seen similar hinges, where the center loop is screwed in, then the top and bottom parts have a hole and a fastener with a head that is driven in like a screw typically would be. However these predate that design.

Old 03-04-21, 04:36 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
XSPLR you may be correct, but the eyelet side sure looks like a thread to grab onto the wood. Maybe not the door side.

I was going add to my post that the OP might want to throw in some epoxy or wood slivers to get a tighter grip in the hole that by now are way oversize.

Old 03-04-21, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
The only one that could possibly screw in is the one on top (only pictured in image 3) that goes on the cabinet door, and its likely a hammer in style as well. The lower half with the 2 "threaded" prongs that goes on the face frame both have to be pounded in at the same time. No other way to do it.

Old 03-05-21, 10:08 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks!

I wanted to say thank you all for the advice!

After pulling another hinge, adding some work for myself, I found that these are indeed knock in type lift off hinges. I have already filled to oversized holes with oak dowel and will under drill as well as glue to get a good tight forever fix.

Thanks again, you guys are GrEAt! Now if I could only find a piece of leaded curved glass to fix the other door my brother broke 35 years ago......... Lol
Have a great day gentlemen!

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: