conduit locknut remover tool?

Old 03-06-21, 08:49 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
conduit locknut remover tool?

I'm doing a project which involves having to remove/un-install a lot of old metal electrical junction boxes along with the metal flex conduit (with dead wiring still inside) still attached to all the various boxes. I don't really want to just cut the old conduit away from the boxes, but would much rather disconnect it from the boxes by unscrewing the conduit connector locknuts inside the box(s). I'm finding the most difficult part of this job is getting those loose, as they are on tight and is almost always super difficult to get started to turn with by hitting/tapping on the locknut tabs with a screwdriver and hammer. I've also been struggling with channel lock pliers but both ways it is very frustratingly difficult. I've got a whole lot of these to do; is there a handy tool specially made for this task, or better/easier way to go about it?

Old 03-06-21, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
No tool that I know of. Been using pliers and flat head screwdriver for years.

Old 03-06-21, 09:18 AM
Received 94 Votes on 80 Posts
Maybe one of these universal socket wrench if you can find one large enough.

Or maybe this in the larger size which is 1 1/4 inch but may not fit in a 2 inch box.

Old 03-06-21, 09:29 AM
Been using pliers and flat head screwdriver for years.
Me too, on the occasions in the past when I've done it, without much trouble. One issue in my current project circumstance is that a whole slew of the junction boxes with these conduits attached are mounted on top of old obsolete smoke detectors installed in ceiling tiles in the grid of a dropped ceiling. So with these nuts on so dang tight it seems, to pound on them with a screwdriver and hammer causes too much flexion/bounding and potential cracking/breakage of the tile(s). And in the locations/sites within the ceiling space it's even more of a real struggle to get my channel lock pliers with a decent grip to turn them out. That's why I wish there was such a tool, but sounds like I'm out of luck.

Old 03-06-21, 09:34 AM
Maybe one of these universal socket wrench
Yeah I do have something like that kicking around in my hardly-ever-needed-or-used tools. I might dig that up and see if I can it to fit/work for me. thanks, I'll post back if any luck

Old 03-07-21, 08:04 AM
D
Received 54 Votes on 52 Posts
Instead of “strong arm stuff” ….try impact wrench style "mulit taps" using blunt steel tool and hammer.

Many years ago watched plumber, in 50 year old NYC office building, sitting on floor, hitting/tapping pipe wrench with hammer for long time to remove radiator stream pipe. Looked like he was wasting time but it came loose.

That was in days before impact wrenches but learned a lesson.

sgull voted this post useful.

Last edited by doughess; 03-07-21 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-07-21, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 285 Posts
A flat screwdriver and my linemens is my tool of choice. You can also loosen the setscrew, grab the connector with channel lock pliers, and turn the connector from the outside while holding the locknut. Both ways you just need to get them loose and you should be able to just spin them off.

I have seen these in the supply house but have never used them. https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bende...09857652&psc=1

sgull voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: