Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Hardware and Fasteners
Reload this Page >

Seeking bolt cutter that is flat on one side and concave on the other

Old 04-18-21, 03:35 PM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts

I need to grind off the tips of threaded bolts with a metal grinder to make them the correct length. What I知 doing now is I知 throwing on a nut and using a metal grinder to chop off the portion of the bolt extends beyond the nut.
It痴 not a clean process since my hand isn稚 steady and I end up cutting into the nut, not only that, I have to brace or clamp down the item.
The problem with a regular bolt cutter is it won稚 cut flush to the nut. I知 wondering if a bolt cutter exists that will cut flush to the nut?

Old 04-18-21, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Use two nuts and jam them tight together, Then use a hacksaw to cut off the bolt.

Or

Install a nut past where you want to cut off the bolt. Mark the bolt length to the nearest thread and cut off using a hacksaw following the angle of the threads. Turn off the nut to clean up the threads.

Old 04-18-21, 04:48 PM
M
I知 doing something similar to that now, would like to save the trouble of clamping and sawing , if I can

Old 04-19-21, 06:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You can cut the bolts to length before installing them. That way you can do it in a workshop where the conditions are more controlled and you can grind the end of the bolts square & pretty and put a nice chamfer on the end so the nuts start easily.

The most common method is to just use a grinder or cutoff wheel. Like anything you'll get better with practice. Sometimes hitting the cut end with a sander can clean up the cut and make it look a bit more presentable.

Then there is the manual hacksaw. It's much slower so you can have more control and may be able to make a neater cut than the grinder. You could also try a fine tooth metal cutting blade in a reciprocating saw. Still, I'd pick the grinder or cutoff wheel first.

Old 04-26-21, 09:16 AM
T
Received 197 Upvotes on 173 Posts
I don't think OP mentioned the size of the bolt being cut, but for machine screws no larger than a #10, I used wire strippers similar to the one below. Run the screw in the threaded side of the stripper, close to cut the screw and removing the screw chases the threads. Easy to reproduce matching screw lengths.

If larger than #10, Post #2 is best.

Old 04-26-21, 10:41 AM
M
1/4" bolt but I got a bunch of 1/8" thick washers from Grainger and I can use them to take up the space prior to the cap nut fitting over it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: