Silicone glue

Old 02-04-23, 11:34 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Silicone glue

You know the GE stuff in a small tube or a caulking gun.
I'm referring to the small tube. Most uses are for gluing thing together as opposed to caulking a tub or a sink that will need a large tube and use almost all of it. Once it's opened it has very short shelf life. I'm looking for a way to preserve an opened tube for perhaps weeks or even months. The nozzle is the section that cures within a day. I've tried the nail, the awl, the wire. None of it clears the nozzle enough to get a good usable flow. Anybody have any ideas?

Old 02-04-23, 12:09 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
It's one of life's mysteries!

Just like a tube of caulk that can stay fresh for years unopened, once opened no matter what is done to seal it dries to a solid useless blob right before you want to use a fraction of an ounce and you're forced to open a new tube and the cycle continues?

I was amazed a month ago, needed some super glue and found a package of (10) 0.1oz tubes. Still expensive but at least your not throwing out 95% of the product!

Ranting complete!

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 02-04-23, 12:14 PM
I find the super glue in the tiny bottles to last longer than the tubes.

To get back to the silicone. Since I do 3D printing, I thought I'd look to see if anybody already designed one. Lots of them for the large caulking type with a removable nozzle, but nothing for the small tube. Part of the problem is the design (on purpose) by GE to make the tube and nozzle all one extrusion. If I knew the thread size maybe I could design one, but my skills at that level are poor to nonexistent.

Old 02-04-23, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I always buy the bulk packs of superglue. You get a few applications from one tube and toss it.

It's almost impossible to save the product in big tubes.
I never buy a big tube unless I plan to use better than half of it in one application.

I only occasionally have problems with the small tubes.
I squeeze the tube allow a small blob at the tip and put the cap on. Don't let any air back in.
When I pull the cap off the blob usually comes off.

For those stubborn tubes I use a 3" sheetrock screw.
The seam split on the last tube I had in my tool bag.

Old 02-04-23, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
The best method I have found to keep caulk tubes from sealing up is to immediately and wrap up the end with electrical tape. Cross the tape a few times to make an air-tight seal. If you can't do it immediately, squeeze out a little just before you wrap it up. While this will not 100% prevent the caulk/glue from setting up it will greatly slow it down. I have used silicone tubes weeks later and it only has a little part that is set up which I can squeeze out of the nozzle.

If the tube has set up so far back in the nozzle that you can't squeeze out the set-up blob, take a knife and very carefully trim back the nozzle without cutting into the blob. Then you can squeeze the gun and pull on the blob at the same time to get it out.

Old 02-04-23, 01:34 PM
The caulking tubes are not the big problem. Usually, you use a caulking gun tube because you have a lot to do and most of the tube gets used.
It's small hand squeeze tubes that cause me aggravation. Tough to seal them up. But I'll try PJ's suggestion of a small blob at the end.

Old 02-04-23, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
The key is to have no air in or above the nozzle.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 02-04-23, 05:53 PM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
I've used the electrical tape method Tolyn describes and it works pretty well for me.

I think this was a reader hint I saw in Fine Homebuilding. Cut an inch or so off the tip off a finger from a vinyl or nitrile glove. Little finger is probably best. Slide it tightly over the tip of the tube and then tape it tightly to the tube. Now squeeze the tube so a blob expands the glove tip. Done. When you want to use it again, peel off the tape and glove tip and the probably hardened blob, and you should be good to go.

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: