Need help identifying this screw.

Old 02-12-23, 01:40 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help identifying this screw.

I am looking to get another screw like this one. I believe that it is made of brass. This one is used to connect a plate on a purse clasp, but its peer went missing. It is a Phillip's head screw. Any help is very appreciated!

Old 02-12-23, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 26,308
Received 1,849 Upvotes on 1,655 Posts
Try McMaster-Carr, Fastenal or you can search Amazon. The first step will be identifying what you have. You will need to know the diameter, the number of threads per inch and how long it is (grip) or the metric equivalent. My guess is it is a #2 but it will take careful measuring to know.
Old 02-12-23, 03:01 PM
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,322
Received 288 Upvotes on 238 Posts
Visit a big box store. They have screw templates that ID screw size, pitch etc. Once you have that figured out you can easily find a replacement altough you may have to cut it to the correct length. Option #2, if you have a real old school hardware in your area, they can hook you up.
Old 02-12-23, 04:34 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 62,522
Received 3,485 Upvotes on 3,128 Posts
Definitely go to a real hardware store. Most of the Ace hardware stores are well supplied.
Check the hardware drawers,

Very hard to tell what size that screw is from a picture.
It could be 6x32x 1/8 or 3/16 long.
6/32 is the size of an electrical plate or yoke screw.
Old 02-15-23, 03:22 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for the input. I will try out your suggestions!
Old 02-22-23, 06:13 AM
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: US
Posts: 1,016
Received 160 Upvotes on 139 Posts
I can't tell, even enlarging the pictures, but that screw may have an undercut head. They are used to secure thin material when a standard flat-head bottoms out "early". I wouldn't be surprised if it is literally an odd size, like a #3.

You might want to search the web for HANDBAG REPAIR PARTS.

Keep us posted on how it goes. Good Luck!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: