Stronger than Pinch Point bar for prying dead shrubs/roots?

Old 07-24-23, 11:40 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stronger than Pinch Point bar for prying dead shrubs/roots?

dead shrubs or large roots etc I use a couple 4x4 blocks as a fulcrum and pry with some random steel bars about 5' long 1" diameter. They're becoming soft and bending. I don't really abuse them but I need them to do quite a bit. I have a hi lift jack lifts 7,000 lbs but setting up the bracing and platform etc so it doesn't 'walk' or tip is usually overkill plus lugging it and the platform around and fitting in tight spaces etc, I just use it for fence posts, larger roots etc.

I have a digger bar with lifetime warranty no questions asked but to pry with it is misuse even though I could bend it back and purposely chip the breaker side or something to say it chipped and get a new one but I'm not like that plus I need it for digging rocky soil etc and it won't pry much without bending anyway.

Besides pinch poitn bars from Depot/Lowes, is there something I can source stronger? like 2" diameter also if necessary and the longer the better for mechanical advantage, I can sleeve an 8 foot 2" hollow chain link fence post over the bar for mechanical advantage but I've even bent that. Some stronger steels though will snap instead of bend which I don't want could be dangerous. The Husky etc pinch bars are lifetime so if it does get soft I can exchange but just looking for something most durable.

Old 07-25-23, 03:43 AM
B
Received 306 Upvotes on 271 Posts
Have you considered a come along?

Old 07-25-23, 03:01 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
some good suggestions, thanks.

Yea if it's such a large stump/roots I'd hand it over to a tree service to grind or machine-pull, although I have manually, in mud basically removed a 30 foot radius of up-to 12" diameter silver maple roots of a ~70 footer that had to be removed, to plant smaller trees in the area without disruption from the maple roots, which, no they don't just rot away there's no oxygen underground so things don't rot easily I pulled previous juniper roots from 10 years ago that were practically fresh still.

I too use the sawsall a lot and they dull fast from soil so I angle grinder them and re use, wish you could just run a chainsaw in the dirt lol but that'll dull in 2 seconds.

These marshalltown monster bars are good THANKS ding ding that's the winner, will order one of these. The square shaft won't bend nearly as easily as round https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfYBcgcIS0k

I'd like the the tip to be straight because I usually have to stab it down under the roots, but usually I start the stabbing with the chisel point digger bar, then I'll stick the monster in there. The one for landscape is straight but the other is more robust and better fulcrum.

I'm not sure about those pointed shovels, they look durable but anything tough, rocky or rooty I usually stab with the digger bar then easily remove with a regular shovel or post hole digger. I have a small electric jack hammer also was needed sometimes you hit a block of concrete or something the builder buried or thick shale etc, but with big roots it tends to just get itself stuck. Larger roots I often use the ax on at least half way instead of dulling the sawsall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: