Strut Channel

Old 08-28-23, 01:31 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Strut Channel

Hi,
I have 2 36 inch refrigerators placed side by side, with 2 refrigerator cabinets above them.
Currently, I made 2 2-x2's above the fridge to support them.

The 2x2's are connected to a tall cabinet on one side and the wall on the other side, so that the top of the cabinet is level with the top of the other cabinets.

However. the 2x2's are sagging.
I would like to know what you would recommend as a support. I was thinking of some sort of metal support such as a strut channel connected to the tall cabinet and wall with flanges,

(BTW, the wood between them is a pullout pantry)
Any ideas?

Old 08-28-23, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
Do you have enough room to slide the fridge to the side and add a 3/4" bulkhead on each side of the pantry? Bulkhead is as tall as your full cabinets on the right are... that way the weight of the cabinets would be on the floor.

Old 08-29-23, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,230 Upvotes on 1,989 Posts
Did you attach the cabinets to the wall or are you just resting them on top of 2x2 laying on top of the fridges? As a super easy cheat you could just use bigger boards lix 2x10's. They are usually yellow pine which is stronger than spruce which is what I usually see 2x2 made from.

Old 08-29-23, 06:52 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is no room for a "bulkhead". I cannot go higher than 2" tall (although, I could probably go 2x6) since height of the board dictates that the top of the cabinets are in line. do you think that a two 7 ' 2x10's would not sag, in time?. The two boards do not rest on top of the fridge, bc I may need to pull out the fridge. I saw that on grainger that a 10' strut channel has a load of 330 lbs (https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...riginal=45YV54). Its only 1 5/8. It's a expensive compared to what I made, which is why i am seeking alternatives, Thx

Old 08-29-23, 07:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,230 Upvotes on 1,989 Posts
"do you think that a two 7 ' 2x10's would not sag, in time?"
That depends on the wood you get but a decent yellow pine piece would be a LOT stronger than two 2x2. I've got some 8' long 2x12 shelves in my shop that have held hundreds of pounds for about two decades and they have not sagged. But it all depends on the wood and how heavy you load the cabinets. If concerned you can always run more than two boards across the opening. Still, a 2x10 will have 500% more wood so that's a dramatic improvement and it even gets better if using a stronger wood. 2x2 are usually the cheapest, crapiest wood so a structural 2x10 or 2x12 will be a HUGE improvement. But, I'm a steel person so I'd be using pieces of steel tubing or steel channel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: