Screw turns but won't come undone

Old 03-02-24, 03:46 PM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Screw turns but won't come undone

So I'm trying to disassemble a washing machine and wanted to clean the gunk off the tub and spider arms. I removed all the bolts attaching the spider arms except for this one:

It turns and the washer turns but it just doesn't seem to want to move up. Any ideas? The screw above it in the photo is one of the other 5 screws I was able to remove.

Top Answer

03-03-24, 06:33 AM
Hal_S
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Another option is to go with a vice-grips or needle-nosed vice grip, and pull back as you are turning the screw.

One other possible fix- many times the only thing holding appliances together is the rust, so a mixture of penetrating oil and/or white vinegar will sometimes dissolve / loosen enough rust from the bolt or clip

Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
you can weld another bolt on top of the stripped one
IIRC you can also get a similar result with soldering, but something as grungy as the interior of a dishwasher is going to need a ton of flux to clean it enough.
​​​​​​​

Old 03-02-24, 03:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,182 Upvotes on 1,952 Posts
It's probably stripped. Try getting something under the washer or bolt's head so you can apply upward force while you turn . When the gap is really small I start by trying to shove the sharpened edge of a box cutter blade under the bolt head. If you have more gap you can use a putty knife or flat blade screwdriver.

orielonline voted this post useful.
Old 03-02-24, 03:55 PM
O
I tried that with a really thin putty knife but i couldn't get it underneath the washer. I'll try a box cutter and see if that helps.

Old 03-02-24, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
Sometimes getting the tip of a flat screwdriver just applying some up force on the edge of the screw is all you need.

Old 03-02-24, 05:17 PM
O
Thanks for the responses. I tried it with a utility knife and chisel with no luck. I'll try It with some precision screwdriver heads, unless you can think of something else.

Old 03-03-24, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,182 Upvotes on 1,952 Posts
If you have a welder you can weld another bolt on top of the stripped one. Then you can pry up on the welded bolt while turning.

Another trick is to chuck a socket extension into a cordless drill and put the appropriate socket on the end. Then turn the bolt like crazy. You're trying to scrape and wallow out the hole so the bolt gets looser so hopefully you can pry it out easier. Wallowing the hole doesn't matter since you'll have to go back with a nut & bolt or install a threaded insert anyhow.

Old 03-03-24, 06:33 AM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Another option is to go with a vice-grips or needle-nosed vice grip, and pull back as you are turning the screw.

One other possible fix- many times the only thing holding appliances together is the rust, so a mixture of penetrating oil and/or white vinegar will sometimes dissolve / loosen enough rust from the bolt or clip

Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
you can weld another bolt on top of the stripped one
IIRC you can also get a similar result with soldering, but something as grungy as the interior of a dishwasher is going to need a ton of flux to clean it enough.
​​​​​​​

orielonline, the_tow_guy voted this post useful.
Old 03-03-24, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 251 Upvotes on 203 Posts
I'm with Hal; snap a vice-grips on it, pull upward and rotate. Alternatively, once the vice-grips are on use the jaws as a prying point for the upward force while turning.

orielonline voted this post useful.
Old 03-04-24, 09:37 AM
O
Snapped some vice grips to the head of the screw point where I couldn't pull it off and it freely turned to the left but didn't want to budge.

Ehh, I think I'll just give this thing a rinse and use it as-is.

New bearings are coming in today and I'll see if I can just reassemble it and get it working again. Real disappointment!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: