Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Hardware and Fasteners
Reload this Page >

50 and 100 lb drywall picture hooks - safe to use to hang an 18 lb picture?

Old 04-14-24, 05:18 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello:

I'd like some advice on whether it would be safe to hang a 18 lb picture frame from either a 50 lb (2 nails) or 100 lb (3 nails) picture hook, as shown in the attached images? I'd be nailing these into drywall only, with no stud. These are OOK picture hooks if the brand matters.

While I'd like to use these hooks if I can safely do so (they are easy to install and would cause minimal damage to the wall), I don't trust the advertised weight ratings. I want to double check here before attempting to hang my 18 lb picture into drywall only using these.

The other option I have is to use a very simple drywall anchor plastic sleeve and screw from this set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't necessarily trust these any more than the picture hooks I mentioned above though, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by DC-DYI; 04-14-24 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Clarity and to add more information.
Old 04-14-24, 06:50 PM
W
Received 26 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I would not consider it safe just nailing into drywall. I might be wrong but I think the weight rating is for nails into studs.

Old 04-15-24, 05:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,233 Upvotes on 1,992 Posts
I would attach the picture hook to a stud especially if the picture may get bumped or moved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: