double hung aluminum/vinyl window sash repair

Old 07-18-01, 06:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I recently bought a home that had double hung aluminum/vinyl windows installed in 1985. The windows were manufactured by Thermal-Barrier Products, Inc, which is no longer in business. These windows are the tilt in type for cleaning. Unfortunately the bottom halves of the windows will no longer stay up on their own. Any idea on how to fix this as a do-it-yourself project? A local company quoted me $60 to fix each window and I have 5 window that need this repair. Too expensive to pay a professional.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-01, 09:11 PM
cbday1220,
First check for any screw type adjustments in the track area. You might get lucky. If they are the type with weights and cords, I can understand the charge per window. There is always the old stick method, cut to desired length.
fred

Old 07-19-01, 07:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank you. I have the type of window that has a curly Q type metal rod on either side of the frame and also on bottom of the window there is 2 screws on each end holding in a small spring. I'll make sure those are tight.

Old 07-19-01, 04:58 PM
The part is called a balance. A residential glass company should either stock it or special order for you.

Old 08-03-07, 06:47 AM
Spiral Balance Adjustment

What you have Curly Q balances, are called spiral balance.

To do a spiral balance, open the window almost to the top. Tilt out the window.
Disconnect the spiral rod from the clutch near the bottom of the now open window. Add tension by turning it clockwise 2 turns. Reconnect the spiral rod to the clutch.

Here are some examples with pictures:
http://www.jeld-wen.com/_pdf/resources/howto/SWD009.pdf
http://www.swisco.com/Screen/guide_balance_adjustment

A little late in the reply, but this post came up in my search for the answer to this question, so I thought I would reply to make the post complete.

Old 08-03-07, 01:58 PM
SIX and a HALF years later.

Please check dates before responding,

fred

Old 08-04-08, 10:41 PM
better late than never

i just did a search and came upon this site. I am glad for the much later post as it helps me fix my window - today. thanks sportal. as long as these windows are in building the info is not out of date.

Old 08-07-08, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Glad you were able to find your solution by searching our archives. Please come on back if we can help further.

Old 11-28-09, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by fewalt View Post
SIX and a HALF years later.

Please check dates before responding,

fred
I'm another DIY'er that found late answers extremely benefitial. Problems never go away, keep sending your posts!

Old 06-14-10, 08:42 AM
Jeld Wen Balance replacement Type B

Since February 2010 I have tried to purchase from Jeld Wen vinyl window balance "Type B" as displayed at www:JeldWen.com/_pdf/SWD009.pdf without sucess> Home depot has tried to assist by faxing Jeld Wen own PDF and sending picture of the balance without much sucess. They received the incorrect balance, returned the product and has not received the correct part yet. Where else can I purchase Jeld Wen balance Type B ?
North Carolina DIY

Old 06-15-10, 10:37 AM
try-reposting your question in the forum with windows & doors.
might get moore views/answers