Stucco Fastener

Old 10-08-01, 11:20 AM
Visiting Guest
We live in SW Arizona and have stucco wrapped pillers on the front porch. We have been trying to attach a banner/flagpole to the piller with little success. Regular screws are not sturdy enough (lots of wind here!). Tried butterfly(molly type) bolts and they would open before they got to the hollow space (even tried 4 inch ones when we know the thicknes of the covering is about 2 inches and it still didn't work). Here is the stupid part - our local Home improvement guys suggested using a plastic toggle which looks like a button with expanded toggle wings. Is this the best choice? and how do we use it - the "wings" already appear to be opened. Any help for us with two ( four thumbs!) would be appreciated.

Old 10-08-01, 01:54 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have 2 inches of stucco base material, you may want to screw into it using a masonry screw. You simply need to drill a pilot hole and drive the screw into it. The threads are very coarse and hard and will actually thread the stucco. Brand names are Hilti Kwik Con Screws or Tap Con Screws. What is behind the stucco?

Old 10-08-01, 03:55 PM
Visiting Guest
From previous holes it appears to be stucco over a mesh like substance and then a drywall kind of substance behind that. In areas we have also encountered wood and not just on the corners as we expected. Only a three year old house - sure wish we had been privy when they were building - would have saved us a lot of trouble. I had thought of the stucco/concrete screws - they are usually blue if I am thinking of the same thing? The Home Depot guys said those might work as well. I think I will give them a try first - much smaller hole to work with( and patch!).
Thanks

Old 10-09-01, 02:28 AM
E
The "blue screws" are called Tap Con screws and should work well. They come in 3/16" and 1/4" and make sure the Home Depot guy gets you the right pilot bit for it, which will be just slightly smaller than the screw size. Also be careful of how close you are to an edge as well as the spacing between the anchors. A good rule for these fasteners is 12 screw diameters from the edge and 10 screw diameters center to center between the fasteners.

Old 10-20-13, 08:44 AM
R
The stucco base should only be 3/4 of an inch deep....MAXIMUM. The only way you can have 2+ inches of cement/concrete to drill into is if you are drilling into a cmu block wall or a concrete foundation.

Old 10-20-13, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 131 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, however, this thread is 12 years old and the OP is no longer a member.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: