Removing Rust and

Old 10-21-01, 03:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I seem to have so many projects (while cleaning and restoring) in which the screws I remove are rusted and/or encrusted with dirt. Being the ultimate recycler, I'd rather not just throw them-out and replace them with new. There must be an inexpensive and fairly "easy" way to clean them and make them reusable. Any tips out there? Can I soak them in something that will dissolve away the grime? I just removed a couple dozen such screws to take up the seat floor hardware, so that I can replace the carpet in a filthy older Chevy extended passenger van. After replacing the carpet, if possible, I would like to still utilize the original screws and hardware, if I can somehow clean them, so they're up to par!! I need experienced advice...HELP!!!

Old 11-27-01, 10:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your local hardware or home center (or paint store) should have a product called 'naval jelly'. It's very effective for rust removal.

Old 01-22-05, 02:07 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
one I really like is a kit I bought to reseal and remove rust out of an old motorcycle gas tank called metal ready
made by POR 15 http://www.por15.com/ the stuff is real
thin like water but it don't take much of it just keep it wet and it's reusable so use a catch pan or bowl to soak it in.
I used it on a shop air compressor pump that been outside locked up for years every thing was rust red color. it was nice pump so I wanted to try to rebuild it if it didn't work
what the heck it was free. I wasn't going to make it new just get serial numbers under the rust and get it running
I took the pump off put it in a rubber made pan and brushed it on check back about every 45 min to hour re wet it with what is in bottom of pan, super easy to recover
I only used three or four ounces. next day I hit it with
a brush and it removed it all like I had sand blasted it. so I primed and painted to a full restore with out alot of work.
also I have used it on old wrench worked good.
Eric

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: