Are screws ok for wall framing?

Old 07-18-02, 06:16 AM
Are screws ok for wall framing?

Hi there,

I've been reading the BOCA and CABO code books about requirements for framing walls. All the charts and tables provide the required nail size for various applications (stud to sole plate, sole plate to floor, etc.).

Is it possible to use screws instead of nails? I've seen a 2 1/2" and 3" drywall screws used to attach studs to top and sole plates, but I don't know if this meets code. Does anyone know for sure? If screws are permitted, is there a screw equivalent for each nail size (e.g. a 6D nail could be replaced by a 2 1/2" wood screw)?

Also, can I reduce the number of fasteners required by using adhesive in addition to fasteners?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-02, 10:07 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Equivalent strength screws are acceptable, and are used in historic home repair to reduce vibrations that could damage old plaster walls. However drywall screws have minimal shear strength and do not meet code for any use other than supporting drywall.

Old 07-19-02, 04:51 PM
Thank you Jeff!

I work in a building supply and I can't count the number of times people have ocme in complaining about the 'lousy' screws' that broke - when they were trying to use a drywall screw to hold two pieces of framing together!

Some years ago I built a 22X8 porch on the side of my house and used screws throughout - galvanized deck screws (square drive). I even tied the rafters down with a 6" (#16) screw from the top through the 'birdsmouth' into the header. It's rock solid.

Old 07-21-02, 09:30 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
What scares me are the upper cabinets in numerous kitchens across the country supported by two drywall screws apiece.

Old 07-22-02, 07:34 AM
ok...I used square drive deck screws throughout my project. Rock solid. Thanks!

Old 07-22-02, 09:57 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
The extra cost to do a job right is always nominal when you have pride in your work. Good luck with the rest of your job!