Stripped Screw Hole

Old 07-23-02, 06:46 PM
koordell
Visiting Guest
Stripped Screw Hole

Hi,
I'm by no means handy or good with tools. My problem is in trying to adjust the baby crib, I accidently stripped a screw hole where a bolt was supposed to fasten. The hole is wood so I don't know how I can fix it so that it will accomodate the screw.

Any Advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-02, 06:01 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Here are a couple of quick things to try:

1. Try the next larger screw, although there could be an aesthetic objection to this. If the mismatched screw head is not visible, this is the easiest and best way to go.

2. Take a toothpick with some wood glue on it and insert it into the hole. Use a utility knife to cut it even with the surface. You can add one or two more depending on how oversized the hole is.

Old 07-24-02, 07:33 AM
koordell
Visiting Guest
Big Hole

The screw hole is about 1cm in diameter -- its a big screw. Will your tips still work?

Thanks

Old 07-24-02, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try to find a dowel rod that will fit in the hole and glue it in and then redo the screw

Old 07-28-02, 05:41 PM
Kim2002
Visiting Guest
Can you drill the hole out to the other side? You can then insert a machine screw the same size (approx) as the wood screw and put a lock nut (nylock) on the end

Old 07-28-02, 11:37 PM
Kim2002
Visiting Guest
You could also try a T Nut. Part of it fits into the hole but has threads on the inside allowing you to use a screw.