Walking for weight loss!

Old 07-17-05, 06:19 PM
bigloser34
Visiting Guest
Walking for weight loss!

Hey guys, I am new to the forum, and I need some advice. I am a 5'10" female and weigh 245 lbs. I have tried every fad diet that there is, and have lost alot of weight in the past, but not been able to keep it off. So, now I have been doing the "right" thing: calorie input < calorie output. I have limited myself to 1100 calories or less, and have been walking 8 miles a day (in 2.2 hrs). I am also doing pilates 3 times a week. Have lost about 20 lbs so far, but am wondering when the inches will start to come off. I am kind of becoming frustrated because my clothes are not fitting any different. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 07-18-05, 07:37 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
First, I think you probably need to increase your calroric intake. There is an enzyme in your body whose job is to take fat out of the bloodstream and put it into your fat cells (it's called lipoprotein lipase). There are four things you can do to stimulate this enzyme and thus, store more bodyfat. They are: eat fat, eat sugar, have insulin in your bloodstream and starve yourself. If the body does not receive enough calories in, it goes into protect mode and starts storing everything it can. Generally, most women I have encountered should be consuming at least 1600 calories per day. At your height, I would guess the number should probably be closer to 2000.

Second, walking is a fairly efficient activity for the human body. The only people I have seen get dramatic results from walking alone were those who had been extremely sedentary. Walking is often a great place to start, but you will most likely need to add more activities as time goes on.

You have opened up many issues in your post, please post back and we can start addressing more as you provide more information.

kathann voted this post useful.
Old 07-31-05, 02:38 PM
doit4fun
Visiting Guest
Smile Been there, done that

I first want to compliment you on your drive and dedication to actually work to loose the weight and to realize you must make major life changes to keep it off. I have also gone through that same struggle several years ago, but have found my own solution, which may or may not work for you. I first stepped up my cardiovascular and minor weight training exercise with no change to my eating habits. I actually gained weight but lost 2 pant sizes (muscle weighs more than fat). I then started to weight train as if I were going to compete. It is not true that women will get bulky if they lift heavy weights but we don't have the right hormones. Back to point, you need eat calories to sustain your activities. You just need to eat the right foods at the right times. I learned a lot about food and when to eat carbohydrates and what they actually are. I learned about the glycemic index and now eat foods that are have a low index except when I know I have a high intensity exercise session planned or just completed. I eat high fiber foods without sugar. I watch my fats, I still eat them. I do not diet as it is unhealthy and it just leads to weight gain later on. If you really want to loose weight and keep it off, it is a life struggle. I have my ups and downs but I have lost over 50 pounds have kept the bulk of it off continually for over 5 years. You will feel so good and energized it will feed itself and you become addicted. Good luck.

Old 08-23-05, 08:03 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you can walk that far, you should be able to break into a slow jog. You have to get your heart rate up. Also, I would highly recommend a weight training routine, more muscles increase caloric consumption. And most important of all, do not go hungry!! Eat every few hours, but eat responsibly. Stay close to natural products and try and avoid processed foods. Have patience, the weight never came overnight, neither will it leave overnight. This is a life style change, give it time and IT WILL HAPPEN. Keep the faith.

Old 09-05-05, 01:19 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Diet

why not try something like atkins diet

tkins is an amazing diet where you will never go hungry again yet still lose weight. This is not a gimmick or the latest fad. The Atkin's Diet has been around for decades. Most people will lose 10-30 pounds in the first month! How do they do it? They eat all the meat, cheese, eggs, and fats (like butter and oils) until they are full. There is no calorie counting or using tasteless low fat foods. There is no starvation. What is the trick you may ask? Limiting carbohydrates in your daily food intake.

The amazing thing with following the Atkin's plan, not only can you eat delicious food and feel satisfied, but you will feel better mentally and physically. Your energy level will increase, and you may discover that your food cravings have relinquished and the need for comfort foods is no longer necessary.

Old 01-24-06, 01:22 AM
S
No advertising

No advertising allowed in forums.

Last edited by stickshift; 01-24-06 at 04:54 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: