weightlifting straps

Old 05-07-06, 11:13 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
weightlifting straps

Recently while I was performing shoulder shrugs my grip would give out. Anyone recommend weightlifting straps, and how to use them.

Thanks,

Joey

Old 05-08-06, 09:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 87 Posts
You can buy straps and they're pretty simple to use, but I think they're a crutch. If your grip gave out, that tells me that your grip is the weak link in the chain. It's common for newbie weightlifters to run out of grip before the muscles they're actually targeting when doing back and biceps. Shrugs tend to be the heaviest weight used, so grip fails here the most. I would recommend just keeping at it and your grip strength will improve.

Old 05-24-06, 10:52 PM
Personally, my grip was a lot weaker than my lift so I bought grips that have a metal hook covered in canvas. They wrap around your wrist with velcro and each hand has a metal hook that you hook on the lat bar etc. I don't lift as much anymore after my failed shoulder operation but before that, if I only lifted what my grip allowed, I would be lifting kids weights. Couldn't wait for my grip to catch up (arthritis). After I bought mine, other people bought pairs or we borrowed them around. Grip is the weak link and I hated to restrict a muscle group like back or lats to the strength of my grip....but thats just me and I don't look like a body builder

http://www.ironcompany.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2585

Old 05-25-06, 06:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 87 Posts
As I said in my first post, I don't normally recommend straps, but arthritis in the hands would be a case where I would.

Old 06-02-06, 02:49 PM
Towards the end of your workout ur grip will never be able to keep up with the muscles your trying to train. I would go as long as you can in your workout w/o using lifting straps and then use them when you have to. This way you can strengthen your grip and not sacrifice your weights.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: