Home elliptical foot pad problem.

Old 11-15-10, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Home elliptical foot pad problem.

Don't know how much response I may get here...but we'll give it a try.

Wife has an Image 8.25 elliptical. The footpads have large raised squares (about 1" long 1/2" wide by 1/2" high) that really bother her feet sometimes. She has to wear certain shoes and even then if she goes too long it will cause a hot spot.

Since the weather is getting colder she would like to spend more time on it.

I tried some high density foam that I have cut to fit...but its a little too soft or thick I guess. It's the thick (1") black stuff that we used in the Navy for insulating chillers and such.

I can't grind the bumps down as it's the blown plastic and they are hollow. Way too many to cut a piece of plywood to fit over them.

I'm thinking some sort of rubbery plastic that I could possible pour into the foot pads? Sort of like the Dip-It for tool handles? Only not quite so expensive?

Pic of the foot pads...

Thanks

Last edited by Gunguy45; 11-16-10 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-10, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
Vic, not sure if it would help, but how about those gel insoles that Dr. Scholl sells?
Would it work to fold a soft towel to cover the bumps? Have to say tho, I don't know what an elliptical foot pad is, so my answers may not work.

Old 11-15-10, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Sorry Becky...I meant an elliptical as in exercise equipment. And a towel wouldn't work any better than the foam...maybe worse...too much movement.

She has good shoes (damn expensive too)..it just they are all more designed for flat surfaces like walking and running. The bumps "telegraph" through the shoes and create hot spots on her feet.

Stupid design...could have just used a ribbed surface for traction.

Here's the machine....

Old 11-15-10, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
Oh, I know what might help! When I walk on trails in the summer, I wear "trail sandals". They're made for walking on bumps and uneven ground. Might work for that too.

Old 11-15-10, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 38
What about pouring something in there to fill in the low spots between the bumps? Self levelling compound for floors comes to mind

Old 11-15-10, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
mitch...that might be a bit heavy don't you think...lol. But that's the concept I first thought of..only more of a rubbery compound.

Hey...I'm just fishing for ANY ideas here. Already checked..no flatter replacements available.

Old 11-16-10, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
Not a clue how much that would weigh

I know you're handy enough for this - what about sanding them off and then cutting some 1/4" luan to fit over the space?

Old 11-16-10, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah...thought about that too. I'm pretty sure the hollow design is what gives them strength and stiffness though. If I ground them off they would basically be a piece of thin plastic 18 x 8. Probably crack pretty quickly.

I had a flash last night...Rhino Liner material would be perfect...just not sure if it would build up ALL the surfaces..including the squares.

Old 11-16-10, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, that stuff's tough enough, can it be poured on? I think spraying it would leave the bumps

I think you might be right about the bumps being structural

Old 11-16-10, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
I'm gonna throw this out in the car repair or woodworking Forums. No offense to anyone..but I know some people only look at certain areas.

Old 11-16-10, 01:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gun,

Off the top of my head I say take a couple of old "Rubber Maid" car mats, cut them into shape, (two or three layers thick) and use black RTV (or silicone II) to hold it all in place.

Old 11-16-10, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks Sam...thats a thought....just trying to avoid cutting a "hole" bunch of holes.

Old 11-16-10, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
I'm thinking epoxy fiberglass resin since you might be able to find it locally. You could mix in some micro balloons to lighten the resin, take up some volume and make it more sandable. If you want to order something online I'd get urethane resin. Something with a low durometer so it has some give.

Old 11-16-10, 01:37 PM
Upvotes Received: 2
I like the Rhino liner stuff. Why couldn't you tape a short 1/2" "berm" around the edges and pour in the Rhino? Once it cures it is soft (softer than the bumps) and pliable.

Old 11-16-10, 01:47 PM
Gun,

I’m talking about using the car mats to cover the bumps permanently and create a smooth new surface.

What do you need the bumps for???
Grip???
Then wear sneakers.

Old 11-16-10, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Sam..read through...she wears good shoes but for whatever reason they designed this with these big squares. Stiffness, grip? Who knows. I just know what I'm told..and the squares mess with her feet. Soft ribs would have provided traction..these would require a T-rex type foot to deal with.

Like I said..I had the foam which pretty much conformed..but I dunno where the problem is.....not my feet...my knees can't take 2 cycles.

Larry...I think the Rhino would be perfect...gotta stop by the local place...see what they could do. No problem taping off the edges and all.

PD...yeah..I thought bout some sorta boat epoxy or the stuff they pour on bar tops? Might have to see how that would work.

Old 11-16-10, 02:21 PM
(Quote) Sam..read through...she wears good shoes but for whatever reason they designed this with these big squares. Stiffness, grip? Who knows. I just know what I'm told..and the squares mess with her feet. Soft ribs would have provided traction..these would require a T-rex type foot to deal with

I know buddy
did read through
just throwing out ideas

Click below

Liquid Rubber

Old 11-16-10, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Ahhhh that will be a look at thing...long as it isn't $200 a gallon.....thanks!

Old 11-16-10, 03:36 PM
Why not cut some plywood or MDF to fit in there on top of the plastic numbs? Then throw some grip tape on it for traction. You might be able to silicone it down, but through bolts may work better. You may also want to try telling her to run up and down the stairs instead.

Old 11-16-10, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Stairs? Stairs? We ain't got no stinkin stairs.....
Lol...
I'm not tellin her anything...she runs 10-15 miles a week and is doing a 1/2 marathon next month. What sweety wants...sweety gets.

Old 11-16-10, 06:48 PM
what about silicone sealer ? or silicone caulking ?

it would be tough to level out, but perfection wouldn't be needed.
and you could use a grinder to take down the high spots.

Old 11-17-10, 02:55 AM
(Quote) What sweety wants...sweety gets.

Trust me buddy
I have a come back for the above
but since this is a family forum
I better not post it.

First link I posted comes in at $93.00 a gallon. Link below comes in at $62.00 a gallon. Lower price should make you and sweety happier.

EPDM Liquid Rubber roofing coatings: Home

Meant to tell you
but keep forgetting
rather than “Gunguy45”
call yourself

Squid45

Hoo-rah!
Semper fi!

Old 11-17-10, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
How about cutting some plywood to match the profile of the tread. Apply spray foam insulation that comes in a can in the area between the tread bumps. Lay a sheet or two of waxed paper on top and then clamp the plywood on top. As the foam expands the plywood on tow will give it a nice flat top surface. Don't forget to tape off the sides where you don't want foam with masking tape. I'm sure some foam will ooze out around the edges.

Old 11-20-10, 03:31 PM
Vic,

Please come back with a follow up. This is interesting. I too immediately thought of just skimcoating silicone caulk across the pads, before reading any of the responses, and see others have thought of that. We humans basically are capable of the same thoughts.

And that is why in these forums, it blows my mind how some people seem so clueless as to how something functions, when I believe that since we all can think alike, that with a little examination and thinking, that they are more capable than they believe.

Old 11-20-10, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
I know, I'm waiting for some exciting pictures.