Foot Neuroma / Morton's Neuroma

Old 05-16-12, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,712 Upvotes on 1,536 Posts
Foot Neuroma / Morton's Neuroma

Thanks to the internet I think I have self diagnosed myself with a foot nerve problem, that is described here. It doesn't hurt, isn't red or swollen, but it is a little numb and there is a little discomfort (like stepping on a sock that is bunched up).

I've been working on my parent's roof- its a pretty big roof (this was day 13) doing a two-layer tearoff, and have just finally gotten to the point of laying down the shingles. Well I have been wearing some pretty tight fitting shoes to keep my feet from slipping around and getting blisters. The other day when I took my shoes off, my left foot felt kind of numb and it kind of felt like my sock was bunched up between my 3rd and 4th toes. Well when I took my sock off, and it still felt that way I knew something was up... and noticed a numbness in the 4th and 5th toes. I slammed one of those toes into the leg of the bed the other night too, and can't remember if this cropped up immediately after that, or if I already had it by then.

So I guess I was just curious if anyone out there has ever had a similar issue? In the medical link above it mentions various treatments- the obvious one is to quit the repetitive motion that caused it (I hope to be done on Friday!) but I wonder what else might help. I guess if there is inflamation, I would think that ice would help (yowza! that's cold!) and I took a couple Aleve (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) which always works wonders for my back problems.

Anything else that doesn't involve going to a doctor or therapist that might help?

Old 05-16-12, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Well....not familiar with that specific syndrome....but like the old joke..."Patient: Doc...it hurts when I do this. Doc: Well don't do that!"

I've had numb fingers and arms after a lot of repetitive motion. Massage and ice treatments worked well. My wife has had issues in the past with her feet/toes when she started running....new shoes and the correct socks did wonders. Both of these along with rest of the affected area of course.

Although they used to recommend heat and cold treatments...I think thats no longer the case. Matter of fact...my wife does ice baths on her legs after marathons along with stretching and light massage....absolutely no issues the next day.

Personally...I love how my knees feel after putting an ice pack on. Don't use real ice...the "Hot and Cold" packs work great and conform well to the joint.

Anti-inflammatories are also good...but don't wait until 3 hrs later to take them. They also need to be taken for a few days..not just once. Anything more that the printed dose on the label...consult a doctor.

Basically...take a few days break...ice and massage along with the anti-inflammatories....should be good as new (or old).

Old 05-16-12, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
I like the "take a few days break" idea. LOL I have been working 6 day weeks (which I NEVER do) so the lack of Saturday's off is probably starting to take its toll. LOL

My chiropractor and physical therapist (who happily I see very rarely) use heat to warm up before a massage or workout... then ice afterwards. They suggest JUST ice (10-15 min at a time) when there is definite inflamation that needs to be brought under control, but they say alternating is good to increase blood flow to the area.

Haven't put any Icy Hot or BenGay on it, but maybe before bed that would be a good idea.

Its amazing how well I feel (in general) after taking Aleve for a few days. I get out of bed and my knees and joints don't hurt- can go up and down stairs like I was a kid again- it's some good stuff! But I don't take it any more often than I have to because it can do some bad stuff to you as well.

I'm hoping that once I get done with this roof that everything will eventually start to feel like normal again. Roofing is definitely for guys under 40. LOL

Old 05-16-12, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Just ta let you know...you can buy Aleve...or the generic (which is about 1/4 the price) and they work the same.

My wife used to get it for...uh-hemm women issues. It was the only thing that helped. Back then (20 yrs ago) it was prescription....now it's bought off the shelf.

The heat before workout is correct...but I think the other (heat then cold) is outdated.

As to the roofing for guys under 40....I regret every day when I said I'd replace my neighbors rolled roof on his carport. I'm still not completely done and its been a year. I need to caulk the exposed nails and finish painting the underlay/decking. Blew my knee just after I started...and I just can't get the energy/motivation to do it. Good thing he's mellow.

Old 05-16-12, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Wow! Well, that knee doesn't sound good! I'm sure your neighbor understands. Sounds like the sort of job for a cool morning before it gets hot!

Old 05-16-12, 06:24 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recently I have had the sensation that I have a pea in the toe box of my shoe. Its painful and I finally went to the doctor. I was told that I have a Mortons Neuroma and should add a metutursal pad to my shoe. This has not helped and the next step is cortisone shots in the ball of my foot and between the toes. Does anyone have any experience with these type of neuromas?

Old 05-16-12, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
I don't have the sensation of a "pea" in my foot, but I might know what you mean, because I had a lump like that at the base of one of my fingers once. Never figured out what it was- it especially hurt and flared up while carrying heavy 5 gallon buckets. But that eventually went away on its own.

Old 05-17-12, 04:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 741 Upvotes on 647 Posts
Hopefully it's something that will go away with time. I've had back issues for a long time. About 25 yrs ago the left side of my left foot became numb. After a bunch of tests they decided it was caused by blown discs in my back pinching the sciatic nerve. My foot is still numb today

I was told back then that I couldn't be on my feet all day or climb ladders.... but my kids were young and partial to eating on a regular basis. Since retiring, the numbness in my foot has stayed the same but my left hip rarely becomes numb anymore.

Hopefully some rest and finishing the roof job will bring you relief. While we can learn a lot on the internet - it's still guessing A doctor would probably order a MRI. If you're like me, I'd see how it does without treatment and if it doesn't go away - then see the doctor.

Old 06-03-12, 05:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have something similar, yes. I have peripheral neuropathy. It's where my whole body is numb at all times. I've had it for over 2 years now, so I am used to it. Unfortunately stress caused mine. But my condition did start off just in the feet and arms at first. At night, my feet do get more tingly than the rest of my body. I can relate to that. It's very aggravating. As far as your case goes, if you're not wanting to go to the doctor I would suggest finding a great new pair of shoes that will fit your feet well for whatever you do on a daily basis with lots of support and comfort. I would also consider trying diabetic socks. Even though you may not be diabetic, then work good for circulation, and that can possibly relieve some of the numbness.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: