Weight Vest Opinions?

Old 11-22-12, 07:33 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Weight Vest Opinions?

I have seen these before, but actually looked at one last night while in a big box store last night.
Name:  0840791_1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  4.2 KB

In theory, it would compliment my winter training, as it's currently geared towards my scheduled backpack adventures next summer. I was thinking it would be better then wearing my pack, as it would be less bulking, and distribute the load a bit better then my pack.

Has anyone used these vests?
Any thoughts or opinions on them?

My backpacking pack is 25-35lb, so I'd probably opt for the 40-45lb range vest.

Old 11-22-12, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
My wife uses them at her gym (she doesn't own it, just teaches some classes there). I've talked to the owner about various things and she is an expert (degree and multiple certifications..does Ironmans and such). Vests like that work more muscles for overall cardio and stamina....you would want to alternate with a loaded pack to use those muscle groups that will be worked harder by the pack alone. Of course, I know the newer, better packs do a good job of distributing the load. Not like carrying a loaded seabag down the pier.

I won't see her again til Monday (unless I have to go fix something this weekend) but I can ask more if you like?

Old 11-22-12, 08:06 AM
N
That would be great Vic.
I know my packpack will work (strain) specific muscles more then the vest which is good and bad.

The idea would be that I would wear this for a number of hours during the day on the weekend while chasing my 18month old and 3yrs old (which is a good cardio workout btw).
This would obviously start with less weight, a few hours a day and progress to 8-12hours, 40-45lb Saturday and Sunday by early spring.

My specific traning regimen is focused 100% on stamina and endurance. I need to be able to hike, bike and/or kayak for 12hours, enjoy a few drinks at camp, then do it again the next day.

Old 11-22-12, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
I'll try to remember to ask her. DW just told me there are doing speed run training on Sunday...so may get some basics there...but there always seems to be a translation problem when we do that. Shoot me a PM Sun nite or Mon morn to remind me?

Just to be clear...will you be doing any dedicated training like short hikes wearing the vest...or just normal activities?

Old 11-22-12, 10:14 AM
N
If I do end up getting a vest, it'll be worn for regular Saturday/Sunday activities (which with my young boys is truely a full day of cardio). Shoveling snow, and other activities won't be exempt from it.
From there, I'll probably wear it during my normal weight training sessions and during my cardio routines if I pick up another piece of equipment. Currently my cardio routine is on the bike on an indoor trainer which wouldn't see any benifit from the vest other them making me too hot.
I may go snowshoeing with it, but that isn't 100%.

Old 11-22-12, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Ok...like I said..PM me as a reminder (brain just doesn't remember as well anymore) and I'll ask before or after my personal training. (That's my bennie for being the Go To guy for repairs and such.)

Old 11-22-12, 12:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 281 Posts
My wife has a vest similar to the one you posted that she got at Wal-Mart. She says it is OK but she doesn't like how much it moves when she is running. Says she should have gotten a Neoprene one that fits snug. She also said it might not move as much for a person that doesn't have boobs.

If your into tactical stuff, and want a vest that can do double duty, you could load something like this down: Vest Tactical Law Enforcement Right Hand OD Green Leapers UTG Includes Mag Pouches Holster Gear Pouches Pistol Belt

Old 11-22-12, 12:25 PM
N
The vest I posted in the image was the one I looked at last night, which was only 20lb, and ya, pretty cheap.
A quick google search found the one below, which is probably the one I would look at getting. It apparently fits a lot better and holds more then double the weight.

The moving while running or jumping appears to be the common complaint with the vest I posted in the original post.

Old 11-23-12, 06:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I was looking at a 40# one a week or so ago but they wanted $130 for it

I couldn't pull the trigger. Cheaper and I'm all over this, seems like the perfect thing to wear to help up my endurance when I start running to get ready for softball in the spring.

Old 11-23-12, 07:16 AM
N
Ya, they are pretty expensive.
The second one I linked was ~$99CND, so I would assume it'll be less south of the border (we always pay more for stuff here).

I'm still on the fense about dropping the money on it. I still need to pick up some more free weights and a new hammack tent for next summer. My sporting gear is already going to set me back a bit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: