Copper sliver in finger causing problems

Old 06-06-16, 11:44 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Copper sliver in finger causing problems

I know this is a strange place to ask this question, but the healthboards forum I usually post in is now gone.

I was working with copper pipes that had a compression fitting and I was trying to turn it with my fingers a couple times, and both times a felt a sharp pain a then noticed a sliver of metal in my thumb (same thumb both times). I managed to pull it out each time easily enough, but now it's been 2 weeks and it still hurts when I put pressure on the pad of my thumb. Anyone else have a situation like this? How long did it hurt? Did you have to go to a doctor for it?

Old 06-06-16, 12:15 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Two weeks is an indicator to go to the doctor.

Old 06-06-16, 12:17 PM
B
I suppose. It doesn't have any unusual appearance or swelling or anything like that. It looks normal, but is still sore when applying pressure. I thought maybe someone had a similar experience working with copper piping.

Old 06-06-16, 12:19 PM
Metal splinters are the worse. Go to the doctor as Ray said.
It sounds like the splinter is too deep to work itself out. They can put dye on it and see it much better than you.

Old 06-06-16, 12:22 PM
B
Oh crap! So it's serious then? I'll make an appointment ASAP.

Old 06-06-16, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't say it's serious. They might take a look at it and say let it run it's course.

Old 06-06-16, 01:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It is probably a speck of chrome off the splinter you pulled out. Benn there don't want to go there again. I was lucky only a couple of days misery but two weeks is too long without professional help.

I'd suggest an urgent care walk-in clinic rather then a family physician because they may more experience with this and you won't have to wait for an appointment.

Old 06-07-16, 04:10 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
One of the Morning Talk Shows just had a summer safety warning about the brushes used to clean the grate on the Barbeque Grill.

Apparently, the metal (brass or copper) bristles from these brushes are breaking off and migrating with the food (hamburger patties) into people's mouths and gastro-intestinal tracts where expensive invasive operations are required to remove them.

Doesn't seem like it would be a new thing; but maybe the brushes have been cheapened and shed their bristles more readily; but they chose to mention it just before Memorial Day. I guess I'll continue brushing as I have; but whisk the grate off with a natural horse hair brush before putting food on the grill.

Old 06-07-16, 06:07 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi BW,
I have had many metal splinters from those blasted black drywall screws. After removal I use neosporin and a band aid. If it does not heal completely I suspect more metal deeper where difficult to see. Doing your own surgery can make a small problem worse. The doctors can take xrays and use other methods, as handy suggests, to know where to dig.

They are a hazard of the trades.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: