blood pressure monitor

Old 05-17-17, 12:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
blood pressure monitor

I have a battery operated CVS blood pressure monitor. I fell two weeks ago and after the pain subsided some I started getting light headed. According to my BP monitor my BP was low [115/75 average] so I quit taking my BP med. My wife had a test at the hospital this morning and to satisfy her I agreed to go to the ER. Every time they checked my BP it was high [160/90] rechecked when I got home and my machine says it's 131/80.

Said all that to ask this - is there a way to verify if my BP monitor is working correctly?

Old 05-17-17, 01:17 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Yes, the calibration can be checked. Possibly you can send it in to the manufacturer for a calibration test but this will likely have a fee in addition to the shipping costs. You can also take it with you to the doctor or hospital for a side-by-side comparison test.

IF this is a fully automatic device where you put on the cuff, push a button and it automatically inflates, deflates and then displays the numbers you will need to do it on one arm while the nurse/medical assistant uses their unit on the other arm. The two units should be at least within 10% of each other, closer is better.

If yours is a manual pump (squeeze bulb) style then ideally you would remove the cuff and connect it to the doctor's gauge (without the cuff) and test the readings at several points between your unit and the doctor/hospital unit.

Old 05-17-17, 01:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's fully automatic [the only kind I can operate ] I'll try to remember to take it with me next time I go ..... hopefully not until July thanks

Old 05-17-17, 01:25 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My Wife also mistrusted her monitor; and the way she checked it was to go to Walmart with her own machine (cleared through Walmart Customs) and compare the results of the Walmart Machine (free) with her own monitor.

This allowed for a comparison of both: same person, same environment, same time . . . . and same results !

Old 05-17-17, 01:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Great idea!! Expect to go to Walmart tomorrow

Old 05-17-17, 01:41 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Before I got my own (fully automatic) BP monitor I used to check it at the monitor chair in the company lunch room as well as at Sam's Club and pretty much anywhere I saw one. My blood pressure would vary significantly from one machine to the next and when I asked my doctor his response was that those machines were not all that well maintained. Using both the store machine and your personal machine together the two should be fairly close but you won't know for certain which is in error.

Then again, when I queried my current doctor about fluctuating BPs she told me it was a "moving target" and that it was the trends rather than the instantaneous readings that was far more important. It is not uncommon for me to get two, or even three BP tests in one office visit because the initial test is almost immediate after walking in and is often significantly higher than when taken after I have been sitting in the exam room for ten minutes or so.

Yesterday I went to the wound clinic (I have a hole in the bottom of my foot) and the clinic is about a ten minute walk from where I had to park in the garage and then another few minutes through the maze before I get to the exam room. I don't know off-hand what the numbers were but they would have definitely been high IF taken after a resting period.

Old 05-17-17, 01:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
A little off-topic but I recall the dentist (actually just the hygienist) taking my pulse and blood pressure on a visit once. The BP was 123/84 and the pulse was 106. She commented that the BP was a little high but the pulse concerned her it was so high. I explained that since this was the dentist office, she was never going to see my pulse below 100 bpm since that place freaks me out so much and, since I had spent the morning in divorce court, I was pleased with all of the numbers.

She hasn't tried to take my BP and pulse again since.

Old 05-17-17, 01:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I know what you mean about the pressures going up/down. My last doctor visit my BP was high, high enough that when the doc came in she retook it .... and then it was fine.

Walking with a hole in your foot doesn't sound like fun hope it heals soon!

SS, I hear you but I was on the opposite end today. They ordered extra tests because my heart beat kept dipping below 50, I guess I just idle slow. Doc said everything pertaining to the fall was fine, no idea why I get dizzy but gave me my choice of getting a room or going home .... who'd want to stay!

Old 05-17-17, 02:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
How's this for a kicker.
At 2:19 pm today I got an email from the hospital stating I had a CT scan scheduled for 12 noon today, for me to arrive 15 minutes early and not eat anything for 4 hrs before. I got to the ER at 10 am this morning and left a few minutes after 2pm.
They must really be efficient

Old 05-18-17, 05:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife borrowed a BP monitor from one of the kids, similar to mine but a different brand. I've checked my BP with both a few times now and they are within 1-2 points of each other. Seems to be random as one time mine will be slightly higher and the next time the other one will show higher. I would assume that means mine is accurate. Not sure I'll bother to check mine at walmart.

Old 05-19-17, 04:07 AM
Received 339 Votes on 305 Posts
Take it to your doctor, he or she will check it against theirs.

Old 05-19-17, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Hopefully I won't need to see my GP until my scheduled appointment in July

Old 05-28-17, 04:34 PM
C
Received 136 Votes on 109 Posts
I take my BP monitor to the doctor every time I go. Apparently I'm not alone. My Dr tells me that a lot of his patients bring them to his office for comparison. According to him, good quality digital BP machines are accurate but the automatic digital machines typically indicate a few points higher than a manual sphygmomanometer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: