Buying Used Commercial Elliptical or Treadmill

Old 08-20-18, 03:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buying Used Commercial Elliptical or Treadmill

Hi
I was thinking of buying a Precor AMT machine but a new one is around $7000 for the AMT835. I have used these machines in gyms and they are aweome. Or, I might go for a Precor Elliptical (anywhere from $3000-$5000 for home models). I feel that Precors are somewhat better than Life Fitness machines when it comes to Elliptical or trainers like the AMT trainer

I have also seen used Precor AMTs and ellipticals on sale for less than 50% of the cost for a new one, but I am not sure if they are reliable. There are tons of online companies who say they replace all the belts etc etc and most come with a 6 month warranty. There is an AMT 835 one out there on a remanufacturer's website for sale for $3000

The hours on these remanufactured machines are insane, though. The Precor AMT I was looking at had 9000 hours on it. So basically it was used at a Gym 10-12 hours a day for 3 years (assuming that Gyms lease them for 3 years and get rid of them). If used at home, one would have to work out for an hour a day for 20+ years to get to 9000 hours!!

Anyone have experience with these remanufactured machines? Are they reliable? I know I could go for cheaper brands like Nordic Track or something and buy a new one, but I would rather buy Precor.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-18, 05:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
In your situation I would talk with gym owners/managers and get their impressions of the machines. They could tell you how much use they get out of a machine before retiring it. They could also tell you the problem areas to look out for. If it seems common that machines are used completely up before being retired I would be hesitant. But if it's common for them to simply rotate them out when they get to be 3 years old I might consider them.

I faced a similar decision several years ago. I looked at the whole range from commercial machines down to home rated units. It would have been easier if I had a budget to narrow things down but it was really a matter of what I wanted and was comfortable spending on it. I would feel bad if I spent $10k on a commercial machine because I could never use enough to warrant the expense. I also had a hard time spending several thousand on something used and several years old. So, I decided to go with new, high quality home equipment.