reached a plateau (bench press)


  #1  
Old 10-12-20, 06:39 PM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: united states
Posts: 209
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
reached a plateau (bench press)

I have been slowly working my way up from 160+. Started back in June when Gyms opened back up. I have very little knowledge as to what I am doing but still progress with strength. I run 3x3s at my max then throw on another 10lbs with just one rep. I am stuck at 270 3x3. I can put on 290 and push it once but it hurts and there is no way I could push it twice let alone 3 times and 3 sets. I have been stuck here for a month now and i go to the gym every other day. I warm up with 20 min of cardio and before hitting 200s I warm up with lower weights first. why am I stuck here? Am I doing something wrong? Am i not working out enough? am I not warming up enough? I am 5'7 170 lbs. end goal would be benching 300. I would be happy with that. And advice would be much appreciated Thanks.
 
  #2  
Old 10-13-20, 04:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 25,055
Received 857 Votes on 790 Posts
I always have better luck with a mixed routine and only do max/heavy once or twice a week. The rest of the week is doing lighter weight for higher reps and mixing up the routine working on other body parts.
 
  #3  
Old 10-13-20, 05:13 AM
Shadeladie's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: PA - USA
Posts: 4,629
Received 159 Votes on 126 Posts
I used to be a bodybuilder, not professional tho. I got to certain weights at some point and I too, stopped at a certain weight. I think maybe it's just the limit a body can do without going the steroid route.
Are you working your whole body and drinking your protein drinks? I think making your triceps stronger also helps.
If you only started back in June, you're doing pretty good I"d say. I think you just need to be patient. Professionals work out a lot longer than that to get where they're at.
I started using a new workout where I went right to the heavy weights and skipped the lighter ones. Took less time to do a workout and was more effective.
After reading PD's reply, was reminded that I too, worked different body parts on different days and varied the exercise. Doing the same workout every time will cause the muscle to become stagnant. Do other exercises besides the bench press sometimes, altho still do the bench press.
 

Last edited by Shadeladie; 10-13-20 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Rephrased something
  #4  
Old 10-13-20, 01:20 PM
B
Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ct.,USA
Posts: 2,027
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
If you overload a board it will break. So will your body.Why did you chose this forum for your question?
 
  #5  
Old 10-13-20, 02:16 PM
Shadeladie's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: PA - USA
Posts: 4,629
Received 159 Votes on 126 Posts
Why did you chose this forum for your question?
What does that mean? What's wrong with this forum?
 
  #6  
Old 10-14-20, 04:48 AM
B
Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ct.,USA
Posts: 2,027
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
Poor choice of words as I meant the DIY website. 95% of the forum mailboxes are for personal property problems with home, vehicle or land. The remaining 5% cover most of life's other problems. A leaking natural gas line from the meter going into the home isn't a personal issue while amount to exercise is.
 
  #7  
Old 10-14-20, 08:12 AM
Shadeladie's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: PA - USA
Posts: 4,629
Received 159 Votes on 126 Posts
I know what you meant and you would be wrong to suggest this type of question doesn't belong here. We wouldn't have a health and exercise forum if it didn't. I doubt they would have gotten better answers elsewhere. No one suggested they do anything dangerous. Also, no one is forced to listen to any advice given here, no matter what the subject.
 
  #8  
Old 10-14-20, 11:42 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 27,044
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
Beelzebob, we have dozens of different forum topics on a variety of subjects. Health and fitness is just one of them.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: