Nordic Track~Nordic Rider repair

Old 03-14-21, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nordic Track~Nordic Rider repair

We've had this Nordic Rider for a couple of decades;

Over the last month or so we've finally got it out of storage and began using it again, however after some time the ride became rough and we noticed bits of hard plastic in the track. I finally disassembled it and found that the wheel the seat and extensions were riding on had begun breaking down.

Searching for a replacement yielded that, not only was this machine obsoleted by Nordic Track, there was no Serial no. on the machine. We did learn the Model no. as NT275000. We tried equipment repair parts online but for the lack of a specific serial number no one could help and they were unwilling to check dimensions for us..
So, I went to my local hardware and purchased a $6.99 caster with a wheel of very close (1 - 2 mm larger) circumference that had a (ID) 7/16" shaft hole I then took it to my drill press and hogged it out to the prescribed 1/2" size. Some fine tuning with a small round file and I got it installed and now it's smooth as ever upon testing. Time will tell if this is a lasting repair and I'll post any updates if it fails.

Last edited by Turbogus; 03-14-21 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-28-21, 06:56 PM
Well, it seems not all caster wheel are made the same, this new one began fracturing as the original one did. I understand that Casters are made from different materials and it seems for the stress of exercise equipment I need Polyurethane.

Old 03-29-21, 02:24 AM
B
I had one like this in my property about 4 years ago but when it broke I just bought a new Nordic Rider and a stepper with it. The last one I like the most. It helped me to keep my mind in place at the times of quarantine last year.

Old 04-02-21, 07:33 PM
I found a caster at Lowe's but at 3" it's just a couple of mm too tall. I'm trying to figure out how to shave the polyurethane wheel.

Old 04-03-21, 04:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
I use a long bolt, a couple washers and a nut. You want a bolt that fits as tightly as possible through the bore to keep it centered. You tighten the nut down on the washer squeezing the wheel so it can't turn on the bolt. Then you can chuck the protruding end of the bolt into a drill. Then I run the drill and hold the wheel against a running belt sander. If you don't have a sander you can move the wheel back and forth over a piece of sandpaper. It's slower but still works.

Old 04-03-21, 01:25 PM
Thanks Pilot Dane, I was pondering something like this last night before I crashed. It has a central bearing so I have some figuring to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: