Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ministries Health Care??

MN

12-13-16, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Ministries Health Care??

Anyone ever hear of these? They're not insurance but every quarter they add up all the claims then everyone pitches in and pays the bill, or something like that.

My sister and her hubby have had a few people tell them it is great except you might have to wait a few months for payment.

She called one of them and they will cover the two for ~$300 a month. Then for bills over 150k I think it is you can add catastrophic coverage for $40 each a month.

Just going on memory here but I think I'm pretty sure on the amounts, I've never heard of such a thing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

12-13-16, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)  
I have looked at two or three of these arrangements as we consider options for my wife's early retirement (our insurance is currently through her work).

There sole advantage IMO, is the low cost. There are many, many limitations. Many "non-Christian" ailments are not covered, whatever that means. Things like sterilization, treatment for drug and/or alcohol problems, unwed pregnancies, stuff like that.

IIRC, drugs for even a covered illness are only covered for 6 months (may be different under different plans).

Probably the biggest disadvantage is that they are not insurance, so you pay all the bills and they pay you. That means you have to have the money, but more importantly, it's my understanding that you do not get the negotiated rates for health services that insurance companies negotiate with providers. Anyone who has had heath expenses know the billed rates are at least 2x the negotiated rates, sometimes way higher. That's a deal breaker for me.

If you're young, healthy, and Christian it's probably better than no insurance.

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

MN

12-13-16, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Many "non-Christian" ailments are not covered...
Both are ~18 months away from Medicare and straight as an arrow so I don't think they have to worry about that part.

... it's my understanding that you do not get the negotiated rates for health services that insurance companies negotiate with providers.
From what I remember, she said after you submit the bills to the Ministry they then negotiate the price for you. In the mean time they can set up a payment plan until the Ministry pays it.

I don't remember her saying anything about drug plans, I'll ask her again. One thing she mentioned today was if you get the same services when you tell the hospital you have no insurance. I would think so if you tell them about the Ministry. Beats me.

Thanks Paul, I'll let you know what they find.

Group Moderator

WI

12-13-16, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)  
It's gambling, just like any other insurance. This is cheap stuff so you're betting that you won't have anything serious happen while covered under that plan.

One of the things I look at first when choosing an insurance plan is the out of pocket maximum.

KY

12-14-16, 04:04 AM   #5 (permalink)  
In addition to what others have stated above, keep in mind that this doesn't meet the definition of a "qualified health plan" under the new Affordable Care Act law. That law says that everyone must have a QHP, and if you don't, you are subject to fines.

Forum Topic Moderator

NC

12-14-16, 04:11 AM   #6 (permalink)  
What happens if there are several large bills and not enough money to pay them. Bills are shared does this mean they will charge you more to pay?

KY

12-14-16, 05:16 AM   #7 (permalink)  
What happens if there are several large bills and not enough money to pay them. Bills are shared does this mean they will charge you more to pay?
That would be my assumption.

MN

12-14-16, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)  
One of the things I look at first when choosing an insurance plan is the out of pocket maximum.
From what I read yesterday, your "personal responsibility" is $500 per illness, from diagnosis to cure.

... this doesn't meet the definition of a "qualified health plan" under the new Affordable Care Act law.
Actually it does or so it says. They do state many, many times they are not an insurance company, there is no contract yet they qualify under the ACA, another confusing thing to me. I spent 2 hours yesterday looking at their videos and reading all the fine print, I keep getting the feeling, what aren't they saying? I don't know, do a search for CHM and your should find it.

... they then negotiate the price for you.
I was a little off on that. They want you to negotiate, insurance companies generally get a 40% reduction so you should too. They want you to explain beforehand that you are a self-payer and mention their organization, guess that helps. If you get a $500 reduction this applies to "your responsibility" so you end up paying zero for that illness. If you are uncomfortable with that they have a department that can help, don't really say too much on that.

A lady that worked in her greenhouse now works in the billing department of the hospital she goes to so she plans to give her a call.

Thanks

CT

12-14-16, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)  
I've heard their spiel on the radio. I wonder how many HCP's accept this "non insurance" and what happens if you have a catastrophic illness and the plan decides to fold?

I doubt if they have the leverage to negotiate costs the same as the big insurance companies and Medicare.

On edit -

I went to one of their web sites. Apparently Jews, Muslims and gays need not apply. The same goes if
you enjoy and occasional toot (or tote) among a host of other things that they consider "not Christian." Personally, I see their intolerance as very "not Christian."

Last edited by cwbuff; 12-14-16 at 03:59 PM.

MN

12-26-16, 08:49 AM   #10 (permalink)  
On edit -

I went to one of their web sites...
I didn't see that till today, interesting.

After thinking about it they decided to renew with BC/BS as painful as that is. Just too many what ifs for them.

Thanks

Search this Thread