Uneven temp in 1 flr 3 bed house - heat pump

Old 12-11-03, 05:32 PM
dvasco
Visiting Guest
Uneven temp in 1 flr 3 bed house - heat pump

Hello, what is the cheapest way to have the house temps even out? I want the master bed to be the same temp as the living room and kitchen. Right now it is always colder. The living room and kitchen face south, have 2 vents each, and are more spacious. The 3 bedrooms have 1 vent each. If I close the vents to the other bedrooms, the living room, and the kitchen then the vents make too much noise. I also believe this puts too much pressure on the blower. Please help and let me know what other information I need to provide. Thank you.

Old 12-12-03, 04:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you have cold air returns in the bed rooms? Try not closing the vents all the way just partially a little at a time and see if you can't get some air moving into that room.

Old 12-12-03, 05:03 PM
yep, add return if not one, increase size of duct or reposition tap from trunk line

Old 12-12-03, 09:10 PM
dvasco
Visiting Guest
The temps are uneven even when the doors to the bedrooms are left open. How much could a cold air return help? I will probably have to increase the size of the duct I guess. Thank you.

Old 12-13-03, 07:26 AM
Also you could try running the fan continuously.

Old 12-13-03, 09:14 AM
dvasco
Visiting Guest
How many kW hours would be used by running the fan continuously? How can I calculate how much is used now in order to calculate the difference? I seems the that it runs for just over 10 minutes when it does turn on and that it there is about a 20 minute interval. I guess it runs for somewhere around 8 hours (480 min) in a day.
As far as increasing duct size it would go from 8 in. to 10 in. Is there a calculation of air flow for this? All the other ducts are 8 in also.
I have round metal ductwork. What is the correct or more precise terminology for this? What is the cheapest place to buy it?

Last edited by dvasco; 10-16-04 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-16-04, 11:38 AM
dvasco
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by hvac4u
yep, add return if not one, increase size of duct or reposition tap from trunk line
I never did get this problem fixed. I am still interested in doing so. I can send diagrams. pictures, dimensions, etc. Please help.

Return - There are two return grills. The return is on the bottom of an upflow furnace. The return grills are located on two sides. I could add to one more side if deemed necessary.

Duct size - This seems the best fix. I am trying to calculate what the improvement will be with the guide at http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related/Ductwork.pdf

Reposition tap - I need more info on this.

Constant fan - I still have the same questions as before. Also I prefer not to have to listen to the fan all the time.

Blower - I can't find the blower settting switch on a Trane Bay96X1514 02

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: