Need Advise on Insulating a Roof-Top Heat Pump

Old 02-08-04, 10:33 AM
Roberto S.
Visiting Guest
Need Advise on Insulating a Roof-Top Heat Pump

Well, I'm stuck with this sucker on the roof including the evaporator, condenser, and a huge, metal main duct. All of them will be sweltering in triple digit. summer sun.

1. What parts of the unit can I insulate ??
2. What are some products that might survive a few years in direct sun ??
3. Would an insulated cover (leaving an air space all around the unit) be an option ??
4. I have two, large, gable vents (probably 4'x6'). Should I use a power vent at the ridge or a gable fan ??

Any creativity out there ?? I need a bunch !!! TIA

Old 02-08-04, 02:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question insulation

#1the unit should have insulation in it now where the air moves through.

#2&#3 the duct should have insulation in it now, "Did you look" and see???? If not I would box it in with ductboard and then a new cover for that out of sheet metal. Both the air out and air in.
Do not box the unit in are block it in any way to stop the airflow around it.

#4 So you dont have to cut into the roof go for a good gable vent fan on a tstat control. You also want to look and see that you have vent inlets in the over hang of the home all around.
You should have 1 sq ft vent for 300sqft of attic or more if its got good insulation in the attic. thats 1/2 in and 1/2 out on the vents ED

Old 02-12-04, 10:49 PM
binford
Visiting Guest
White will reflect the direct sun. The only parts that can be insulated are the return air duct and the vapor line. (That’s the bigger of the two with some black insulation on it. )

Old 02-22-04, 04:14 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
With a package rooftop unit

First, there are no pipes to insulate, If this duct is a side-shot...paint it with a white latex mastic and keep the insulation to about 1" if you can....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: