high pressure cutoff

Old 04-02-04, 07:30 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry high pressure cutoff

I have a Rheem heat pump that trips the high pressure switch. I've had 2 different heat and air guys out to check it out. Between the 2 of them, one told me to put in another return air duct, and the other told me the unit was overcharged. OK, I put in the other return air line and the tech brought down the charge. It worked for a few weeks, then started the same thing, I put the gauges on it and the high side was right according to the chart on the panel, but the low side went all the way to retard! Any suggestions, I am tired of running on emer. heat. All filters and coils are clean. The A/C works fine.

Old 04-02-04, 10:45 AM
I put the gauges on it and the high side was right according to the chart on the panel, but the low side went all the way to retard! Any suggestions,
Yes are you EPA????????????????

You lost the Expansion valve or dirt in the flow control orifice.
By dirt I mean contaminate. You have some how got AIR in it with messing around . If its just on the heat pump its in the check valve bypass at the coil Ill bet

You need some one now to come in with good Recovery Equipment and clean the whole unit out for you .

ED

Old 04-05-04, 04:06 PM
yep, clean the entire system, pull a good vac, acid wash the coils (is this happening in heat or cool), be sure to open and clean any metering devices.....assuming you are epa certified. if not you are going to spend more than you save before it is all said and done. this is pretty tricky, finding and repairing a problem in the refrigerant circuit, recharging properly using a superheat or subcooling chart as well as there being a warranty with a qualified tech.

Old 12-30-04, 05:24 PM
robbie
Visiting Guest
Was the system in heat mode when you slapped your gauges on it? That's a fast way to damage a pair of gauges. I remember doing that with my fathers gauges when I first got into HVAC...He nearly passed out on me. There should be a third shrader valve up around the reversing valve. Connect your low pressure gauge there when checking in heat mode

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: