Specs for Air Handler?

Old 05-04-04, 04:21 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Specs for Air Handler?

Got an old (25 yr) Weathertron air handler and a not as old 3 ton Trane XL 1200 heat pump. The Air handler control system got zapped by lightning this weekend and repair guy can't find the short - 4 hours labor already(paid too) - and I figure its time for a new one anyway.

House is 2 story, finished basement 2200 sq ft. Might add 400-500 ft on first floor in the next couple years. House is 25 years old, no gas avail, reasonable insulation I'd say.

What kind of specs should I look for on the new air unit?

Old 05-04-04, 06:32 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Jim

Question?

Is this air handler the fan blower within the heat pump?
Or is it a seperate unit which moves air seperately from the heat pump?

Makes a huge difference which it is.

If the unit is within the heat pump, the service tech should be able to locate the electrical problem cause within it.

If the air handler is a seperate unit to move air independently of the heat pump, as in attic ventilation,etc as an example, the unit may need replacement.

In either case, based upon the intial problem which caused the condition, an electrican is more likely to be needed to locate and correct the short within the electrical system.

A more clear understanding of which condition above applies. If the unit is a true seperate air handler, the ventilation forum topic is where this question should be and you are more likely to find the answer.

If the air handler is the blower fan and motor within the heat pump, the professionals within this forum topic are best able to provide the help needed.

In my opinion, the entire electrical system should be checked by a licensed qualified electrican after any lightning strike. May be covered under the home owners insurance policy, if one is in place.....????

Old 05-04-04, 07:50 AM
J
There are two components in the whole system - outside is a Trane XL 1200 Super Efficiency Weathertron Heat pump and -inside - a GE unit (what I call an air handler) that has coils and the blower and is attached to the vents. I mispoke when calling the air handler a weathertron - it's a GE.

Anyway - your comments about electrician are appreciated - and there is insurance (ha - depreciated value on 25 yr old unit).

So my question is restated as 'What kind of specs should I be looking for to replace the GE unit?' - or should I ask in the ventilation area? TIA

Old 05-04-04, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You just have the model numbers there is all not what the output is for them. But for that 3 ton you said.

Get 3 bids for the job make sure they run a heatloss and AC load on the home for you with what you want to add later to the home.. Dont know why the electrican cant find the short . But 25 years is time for a new outdoor unit and also the inside blower coil.

On a Trane top of the line is a XL19i heat pump with a 17.90 SEER for AC and a 8.90 HSPF on the heat side. You also want to make sure that the indoor blower coil is a match.The unts come in both the R-22 or the R410a freon
The units you have weathertron and GE are the same and now that is The Trane company.

ED

Old 05-06-04, 11:00 AM
is the outdoor unit 25? i am thinking XL1200 came out in 87 or 88

unless you are replacing tho outdoor unit at this time, you will have to match the new AHU to the XL1200.

I am almost positive that outdoor unit has a start relay, allowing you to use a coil in the AHU with an expansion valve which ups the efficiency

i absolutely recommend variable speed AHU for more even comfort

to accomodate an addition, you may have to upsize the system, it is possible to install a 3.5 or 4 ton ahu now, then upsize the outdoor section when the addition goes on. also a seperate unit, or "through the wall" may fit the needs of your added space depending on layout.

be sure electric heater KW on installed AHU is properly sized for wiring

Old 05-06-04, 11:04 AM
oops!

just noticed the O/D unit was changed, makes sense since GE wwent to trane in 83 or 84

how long ago? should be mfr date on tag if you bought the house with it already installed

do a load calc on the house to see if the unit is properly sized, before you put any money into it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: