Heat but no A/C

Old 05-22-04, 08:56 AM
GoPacers
Visiting Guest
Heat but no A/C

I'm familiar with forums but new here so I hope I'm following proper protocol.
  • I have a ~6 year old Trane heat pump.
  • Recently the A/C stopped working.
  • Turning on the heat does work.
  • The outside unit never comes on regardless of whether I set the thermostat inside to heat or cool.
  • There are no signs of frosting up or freezing on the outside unit or inside air unit
  • No breakers have tripped
  • There is a "t-shaped" handle breaker (I'm guessing) in an enclosed metal box attached to the house near the outside unit. I pulled it out and it seems to look fine, hard to tell, no corrosion or anything on the contacts
If this is not enough info just let me know. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-04, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

The outside unit never comes on regardless of whether I set the thermostat inside to heat or cool.

Turn the indoor blower on at the tstat fan on. Take and jump R to Y at the tstat and see in the out door unit will come on. If it does then its in the tstat. if not check the contactor in outside unit ,see if it has 24 volts and pulls in. If it pulls in it can be bugs dirt on points there and not make the compressor and fan there run.
Lot to look for here. Dont forget outside unit is 220volts

Turning on the heat does work
that has tobe the strip heaters came on .

ED

Old 05-22-04, 02:30 PM
GoPacers
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
...Take and jump R to Y at the tstat...
I don't quite follow you on this. Can you elaborate a bit? Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, red to yellow...gotcha.

Old 05-22-04, 02:36 PM
Wink

With the cover off the tstat. take a small wire. and put it on R and Y. To see if the outdoor unit will come on or just click out there. Does it click out side when you turn the tstat to call for cool?

Its just 24 volts wont hurt.

ED

Old 05-22-04, 05:51 PM
GoPacers
Visiting Guest
With the cover off the tstat. take a small wire. and put it on R and Y. To see if the outdoor unit will come on or just click out there. Does it click out side when you turn the tstat to call for cool?

Its just 24 volts wont hurt.

ED
Ok, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I don't believe that it even clicks when just setting to cool on tstat. I had wife do that while I was outside and didn't hear a thing yesterday. I can handle 24 volts.

Old 05-23-04, 12:32 PM
GoPacers
Visiting Guest
UPDATE:

Well I never actually got around to jumping Y and R on the tstat. My father-in-law had mentioned that I should try setting tstat to heat and cool, back and forth for a while to see if the damper/control arm or whatever it's called was just stuck since it only operates about twice a year. I'd tried that the other day without any result. I decided to try it again though today and BINGO, we now have perfectly cool air in the house. The heat pump outside came on and sounds normal.

Now, is this a viable outcome or am I getting excited over nothing/is there still a potential problem?

Thanks for your help again.

Old 05-23-04, 04:10 PM
Wink

You dont say what tstat you have there. On some they have small balls under the lever and I have had where one falls out and the tstat dont work right. So dont forget
R is power G is fan Y is cool and W is heat.

ED

Old 05-23-04, 06:43 PM
GoPacers
Visiting Guest
Here is a pic of my tstat panel. Thanks for the wire color correlations.

http://www.ie-inc.com/clay/tstat.jpg

Old 05-24-04, 11:02 AM
Wink

Not sure but dont that tstat have a battery in it that should have a new one put in each year???

ED

Old 05-24-04, 02:17 PM
GoPacers
Visiting Guest
Not sure but dont that tstat have a battery in it that should have a new one put in each year???

ED
Thanks, I've not checked for a battery. It's run just fine for six years now though.

Well it has quit outputting cool air again today. It worked great last night. I had it on auto. I'm going to replace the tstat today. I'm hoping that the reversing valve isn't shot.

Old 05-24-04, 03:36 PM
GoPacers
Visiting Guest
UPDATE #2:

I did not replace the tstat yet...the first thing I did when I got home today was to set it back to "cool". My wife had it off all day since it seemed to not be working this morning.

My setting the tstat to "cool" resulted in the compressor coming on just fine and cool air began flowing out of the vents. So, I went outside to the unit and realized that the fan was not on. It never has been when I'd checked in the past either but I just thought it had not kicked on yet. I watched it for 20 minutes and the fan never came on. The top grill area was very hot to the touch so I'm assuming now that the fan motor has gone out. Sound right? If the fan isn't running then that would lead to a gradual warm up as was what we experienced between last night and this morning...correct?

Thanks for any feedback once again.

Oh, BTW I did jumpt the Y and R wires at tstat and that did not cause the compressor outside to come on. Just using the provided switch works every time though. So, my original statement of:

"The outside unit never comes on regardless of whether I set the thermostat inside to heat or cool."

Well that seems to be incorrect now, not sure why but the outside unit comes on every time I set the tstat to cool. I may have just been mistaken initially.

Old 05-24-04, 04:20 PM
Wink

Dont run the unit at all if the outdoor fan there dont come on. The unit could have been going off on high head. You would reset it by turning from heat to cool there at the tstat. lots of them have what they call system monitor.
When it calls for heat or cool spin the fan blade if it takes off and runs the fan needs a new capacitor. just hope the compressor is ok .

ED

Old 05-24-04, 08:36 PM
GoPacers
Visiting Guest
Dont run the unit at all if the outdoor fan there dont come on. The unit could have been going off on high head. You would reset it by turning from heat to cool there at the tstat. lots of them have what they call system monitor.
When it calls for heat or cool spin the fan blade if it takes off and runs the fan needs a new capacitor. just hope the compressor is ok .

ED
Thanks Ed. That's great info. I've got someone coming out to take a look at it tomorrow. I've learned a lot and I really appreciate your help.

Old 05-25-04, 05:17 AM
I just replaced my condensor motor last night. While its opened up take the opportunity to clean it out and hose the coils real good from the inside out.