"Hydrosil" electric baseboard heater?

Old 06-29-04, 03:02 PM
jowi
Visiting Guest
"Hydrosil" electric baseboard heater?

Has anyone heard of this? www.hydrosil.com

I'm looking for some sort of heating option for our new sunroom. I was going to put in a heat pump unit (split) but since I'm in WI, I'm not sure how much more efficient it would even be since we have several months of temps below freezing. We'll probably just let it get cold at night and then just run heat during the time we're using the room. Any opinions?

Old 06-30-04, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

I cant say why or how but any units like that have cost more to run than just the baseboard electric. Thats what I have found out. ITs like with any electric heat it is 100% its all in the room there to heat and no vents at all.
If your just going to use the room now and then go for just baseboard Elec. If you need cooling there then go for the heatpump

ED

Old 11-29-08, 02:43 PM
K
Smile I love hydro sil

I have 3 Hydro sil, I plan on buying another 5 ft. They are the best thing I have ever invested in. I bought them in 2005, 2 went bad no heat. I called the company he said box them up send them UPS. I called back with the tracking number I had 2 new ones in about a week. Life time Warranty. I love it when it is a win win for me. Electric Heater, Electric Baseboard Heat - Hydro-Sil is a good company I have never had a problem with them. My wood stove is in basement and my husband is disabled can't do stairs. Plus in the summer basement stays damp. My husband always has his on in the bedroom cause he is cold. I was on oil now gas but need to save money for other things. When I use the heaters I don't worry about anything. I get the cold an snow from Lake Ontario. I got them because if I am sick I don't have to worry about the family staying warm. I don't know about the other companies. I hope this has answered your question about the company or the heaters. They stay on 24/7 - 365 days. Good Luck and Stay warm this winter. Susan

Old 11-29-08, 11:11 PM
D
Originally Posted by jowi View Post
We'll probably just let it get cold at night and then just run heat during the time we're using the room. Any opinions?
YES. I have a sun room and your approach is right. Let it get cold at night unless you want to spend a lot of dough heating it. That being said forget about the heat pump idea - 90-100F air will have difficulty overcoming the large heat loss you face with all the glass. You will feel cold even if you manage to maintain 70F because of the cold off the glass and the low heat pump temp output. There will be times when you have friends or company or just want to sit out in it in the morning and read the paper you will need the power of electric baseboard to raise the temp relatively quickly (especially if you keep it cool at night) and maintain temp in the evenings. If you can run a zone of heat off your furnace even better!

The thing with the sun room is during the day you really won't need to heat it (the sun will do that for you). But during the night or early morning you will need heat and a lot of it to be comfortable with that much glass around you. Insulated window shades are also a great investment.

-doug

Old 12-01-08, 09:21 AM
D
I would consider a PTAC with internal electric heat strip. The initial cost will be higher but you will have lower operating costs, especially during milder weather, and you will get A/C.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: