Rheem heat pump problems

Old 10-31-04, 09:11 AM
roads1
Visiting Guest
Rheem heat pump problems

I have an 8 year old Rheem heat pump split system. I know we have a leak in the A coil but refill once or twice a year and it runs fine. Yesterday the outside unit quit working and had to jump the selenoid that engages the compressor unit and use the quick disconnect circuit breaker to turn it on and off. Are these Honeywell selenoids easily replaceable or is this a symptom of a larger more complex problem?

Old 10-31-04, 03:21 PM
heatpumpman
Visiting Guest
Did you check the reset button?

It's a little red button down beside where the two copper lines come into the unit. Sometimes this high pressure switch can kick out on a short cycling condition, sometimes they just fail. If you push in the reset button and it clicks then it was tripped out. A fan motor that has quit or quiting, a dirty condensing coil, or a system over charge of refrigerant can cause it to cut out too.

You need a voltmeter to tell if the contactor is no good. That is, if you have 24 volts going to the contactor when your thermostat is calling for cool or heat, and the contactor is not pulling in, THEN you have a bad contactor. Electrical issues cannot be solved by guessing. Take care,

Old 11-01-04, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wink

I know we have a leak in the A coil but refill once or twice a year and it runs fine.
If you dont fix this now you will end up that you have to get a new compressor. They should find and fix the leak first here. Could be they over charged it to last longer for you. like said do you have 24V to the contactor ,some thing kill it or is the contactor?

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: