Where to buy a baseboard heater pipe?

Old 10-31-04, 11:18 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to buy a baseboard heater pipe?

I dont need the actual heater, just the pipe/fins. I need a large one. The 6' ones at homedepot had pretty small pipes. They were about 1/2" OD copper pipe with really small fins. I was hoping to get one of the large ones, 1inch diameter pipes with 3" x 3" fins, that are found in old houses with baseboard heaters. Does anyone know where I could buy something like that? Guessing something like a scrap yard or some house thats about to be demolished...

Old 10-31-04, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Try a heating supply store.They have a wider selection of sizes. I have installed the 1' copper with 3' fins in commercial applications. Homes just usually have the smaller tubes and thats why HD supplies that type. Good luck.

Old 10-31-04, 02:01 PM
J
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Try a heating supply store.They have a wider selection of sizes. I have installed the 1' copper with 3' fins in commercial applications. Homes just usually have the smaller tubes and thats why HD supplies that type. Good luck.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll be calling some heating a/c part stores Monday then.

Old 11-01-04, 11:23 AM
Wink

All the home base board I know of have 3/4"copper. Check Johnstone supply. they come in 3' to 8'

ED

Old 11-01-04, 03:44 PM
J
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
All the home base board I know of have 3/4"copper. Check Johnstone supply. they come in 3' to 8'

ED
Yeah but they only sell the entire setup. I only need the pipe/fins.

I found this:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...779157&ccitem=

Old 11-01-04, 04:03 PM
Did you check in the phone book there. All sell them how you want them. Cause you can get just the covers to go around the room like if you want them with no pipe or no pipe with fins.

ED

Old 11-01-04, 04:46 PM
J
Did you check in the phone book there. All sell them how you want them. Cause you can get just the covers to go around the room like if you want them with no pipe or no pipe with fins.

ED

That link has a local store, gonna call them up and see if they have them in stock.

I dont want the covers because this isnt a normal heating system. Im using it to cool my computers which will inturn heat the room. Dont want the covers because I want maximum air exposure to them. Going to place it in front of two window fans (the small dual 8inch crappy things).

Old 11-01-04, 09:11 PM
T
I hope you have a lot of computers... because 1" of pipe times the length you have in mind will take a long time to warm up... with or without the fins. How do you connect the little 1/4" pipe going to the CPU's heat sink to your setup? I seriously doubt you'll get any real heat out of the system, but I'd be curious to know if it works. I hope you don't get a leak somewhere... that's a lot of water to escape.

Old 11-02-04, 07:56 AM
J
Originally Posted by trinitro
I hope you have a lot of computers... because 1" of pipe times the length you have in mind will take a long time to warm up... with or without the fins. How do you connect the little 1/4" pipe going to the CPU's heat sink to your setup? I seriously doubt you'll get any real heat out of the system, but I'd be curious to know if it works. I hope you don't get a leak somewhere... that's a lot of water to escape.

Actually copper doesnt take long to "heat up" at all. Its the 3rd best solid thermal conductor, under diamond and silver. I'll be dissipating some 500watts+ of heat. The idea is to use something with tons of surface area so I can run a near silent setup.

The plumbing I'll be using is 1/2" ID tubing so all I need to do is either weld some 1/2" ID barb to pipe brass fittings. Or just JB weld some on.

This has actually been done before hence where I got the idea from.

Old 11-02-04, 08:05 AM
Thumbs up

You should be able to just solder this whole thing up with 50/50. if you dont have a pump here Id stand the copper pipe up and hot would go to the top and cold back out the bottom. The water would move by itself.

Ed

Old 11-02-04, 08:21 AM
J
You should be able to just solder this whole thing up with 50/50. if you dont have a pump here Id stand the copper pipe up and hot would go to the top and cold back out the bottom. The water would move by itself.

Ed

Exactly what the other guy did which did help temps but he still needed a pump do to the restriction that the rest of the system gives. But Im going to put it infront of my window so I can get a cold breeze from out side to go over it for even lower temps.

Im going to have a good amount of restriction in my system so Im already planning on buying a fairly large pump (iwaki md-30rz).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: