Self contained Packaged unit heat pumps

Old 11-02-04, 12:54 PM
EugeneAK
Visiting Guest
Self contained Packaged unit heat pumps

I want to replace my existing forced air oil burning furnace (single unit located in a outside shed built onto house) with a heat pump. It seems like I could save money if I order a self-contained packaged heat pump over the internet and do as much install as I can myself. My brother is an electrician and thinks this is the way I should go cost-wise. The packaged units come pre-charged and I have the existing duct work so it seems like there would be a lot less an HVAC tech would have to do. I have had two local HVAC companies out to give estimates but they both only want to install a split system and charge me three times more than what it looks like we could do the packaged unit mostly by ourselves for. Any advice on packaged heat pumps?

Old 11-02-04, 01:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Who will service it and back it when it goes out on you. Dont forget you need more duct to run the heat and cold air duct out to it, Have to have it out so all the water can run away from it in the winter when it goes in defrost

Also check out http://www.warmair.net and see how fuel cost compare there for you

ED

Old 11-06-04, 05:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
all you are doing is ductwork, he is wiring, should be ok

research airflow needs for your system to be sure duct system is adequate, that is VERY important

ed is right about service, but considering up front cost savings, i would go for it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: